Solved

Where to put a custom projection file

• 27 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi, I have created a custom projection file and put it in User -> Document-> FME -> CoordinateSystems

I have restarted my laptop. It does not appear in the gallery.

I created it with a text editor.

Am I putting it in the correct location for FME 2020?

Is there a log somewhere to tell be if it has been read or there is an error in the file?

Do I need the backslash on the end of each line?

I was hoping to use the online tool to create the projection but I wanted to base the projection on GDA2020 , There does not appear to be a Datum to reference for 2020 in the dropdown in the online tool.

Any assistance welcomed,

Ian Hamilton

icon

Best answer by ian2016 28 April 2021, 03:59

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hmmm, seems that GDA2020 isn't listed here in the list of predefined datums: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Coordinate_Systems/CoordSys/Predefined_Datums.htm

I suspect that if you are using this as your datum in the .fme file that this could be why. As a test you could try renaming the datum to something in the list to see if it then pops up.

It's a little off though because it's quite clear that GDA2020 is used in FME - possibly just a small bug?

Perhaps @daveatsafe​ knows more

Badge

Thanks for your answer, following on from the above,

This is my projection information, I have created a file SSGH_Projection.fme and put it in both a shared folder I created and also in the User -> Document-> FME -> folder . (I also tried to edit the Reproject definitions file but it appears I don't have the rights to do that.)

As far as I can tell neither of these locations are being read as the projection does not appear in the projections gallery. ( I tried the above suggestion and set the datum to gda94 to see if anything would be different - nothing changed. Am I doing something stupid here?

CS_NAME: SSGH\\

DESC_NM: Snowy Surface Grid High Zone 55 (GDA 2020)\\

DT_NAME: GDA94\\

EPSG: Unknown\\

GROUP: AUSNZ\\

MAP_SCL: 1\\

MAX_LAT: -9.23\\

MAX_LNG: 150.01\\

MIN_LAT: -50.89\\

MIN_LNG: 144\\

PARM1: 148.5333333\\

PROJ: TM\\

QUAD: 1\\

SCL_RED: 1.000227\\

SOURCE: Snowy Hydro Project\\

UNIT: METER\\

X_OFF: 650000\\

Y_OFF: 4300000\\

ZERO_X: 0.001\\

ZERO_Y: 0.001

Badge

I have discovered the error of my ways. There were colons after each identifier, which is not the correct format. I also added quotes to the SOURCE and DESC_NAME - not sure if that changed anything. The only way I got any feedback when starting up FME was because I had inadvertently another syntax error in the file which was grave enough to get a popup error message. Now resolved, thanks.