Solved

FME Server 2021 Application Server (Tomcat) wouldn't stop correctly

• 20 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I installed FME 2021.0.1 Server into a ubuntu 20.04 server (AWS EC2 instance).

The installation has been successfully done, I ran "/opt/fmeserver/Server/startServer.sh" to start the FME Server instance, then performed initial settings including licensing and so on.

Then, I stopped the instance with "/opt/fmeserver/Server/stopServer.sh", and the following messages were shown on the console.

Stopping FME Engines...
Stopping FME Core...
Stopping Web Socket Server...
Stopping Cleanup Service...
Using CATALINA_BASE:  /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME:  /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:    /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/jre
Using CLASSPATH:   /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/fmeserver/Utilities/tomcat/bin/tomcat-juli.jar 
Using CATALINA_OPTS:
Using CATALINA_PID:  /var/run/catalina.pid
$CATALINA_PID was set but the specified file does not exist. Is Tomcat running? Stop aborted.

It seems that the Application Server (Tomcat) isn't stop correctly.

After that, I tried starting FME Server instance with "/opt/fmeserver/Server/startServer.sh", but this message appeared.

Starting FME Server Core...
Starting FME Server Engines...
Starting Web Socket Server...
Starting Cleanup Service...
Starting FME Server Application Server...
Existing PID file found during start.
Tomcat appears to still be running with PID xxxxx. Start aborted.
If the following process is not a Tomcat process, remove the PID file and try again:
UID          PID    PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
fmeserv+   xxxxx      1  0 18:01 ?        00:00:52 /opt/fmeserver/Utilities/jre/bin/java -Djava.ut

If you kill the PID and re-run the startServer.sh, sometimes FME Server started successfully, sometimes failed (reboot was required).

Do you have experienced similar symptom?

icon

Best answer by richardatsafe 26 April 2021, 19:20

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi @Takashi Iijima​ ,

I've seen this problem when another account has started tomcat such as the case when starting server by setting tomcat as a system service.  Similarly, this issue seems to be the result of the stopServer.sh script shutting down the web application as root opposed to the startup which is starting the application as fmeserver user. I've created a ticket to have this changed. In the mean time you can adjust the stopServer.sh script to use the fmeserver user by changing the we application from

if [ -f /opt/fmeserver/Server/stopApplicationServer.sh ]; then

/opt/fmeserver/Server/stopApplicationServer.sh"

To:

su fmeserver -c "/opt/fmeserver/Server/stopApplicationServer.sh"

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @Takashi Iijima​ ,

I've seen this problem when another account has started tomcat such as the case when starting server by setting tomcat as a system service.  Similarly, this issue seems to be the result of the stopServer.sh script shutting down the web application as root opposed to the startup which is starting the application as fmeserver user. I've created a ticket to have this changed. In the mean time you can adjust the stopServer.sh script to use the fmeserver user by changing the we application from

/opt/fmeserver/Server/stopApplicationServer.sh"

To:

su fmeserver -c "/opt/fmeserver/Server/stopApplicationServer.sh"

Hi @richardatsafe​ , thank you for your response. The workaround (modifying stopServer.sh script) resolved the issue.