Question

Bufferer transformer is very slow.

• 15 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, I am trying to fix an issue in the workbench. It takes a lot of time for the buffer tool to run, even though have chose the fast option for processing. There is no grouping done and this has happened since we upgraded to FME 2020. Any help is appreciated

5 replies

Badge +2

@fmeuser2020​  Are you using the Buffer Distance Units with a value other than Ground Unit (None) ? When you are use Buffer Distance Units: Feet|Meters|Miles|Kilometers, FME uses a local coordinate system for each feature to be buffered. This is very slow as FME needs to build a new coordinate system for each feature. This has been fixed in FME 2021. You can avoid the slowdown by using the Ground Units (None) option. If you need to, you can use Reprojector to reproject before the Bufferer

@fmeuser2020​  Are you using the Buffer Distance Units with a value other than Ground Unit (None) ? When you are use Buffer Distance Units: Feet|Meters|Miles|Kilometers, FME uses a local coordinate system for each feature to be buffered. This is very slow as FME needs to build a new coordinate system for each feature. This has been fixed in FME 2021. You can avoid the slowdown by using the Ground Units (None) option. If you need to, you can use Reprojector to reproject before the Bufferer

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am actually using Ground Units(None) only as an option.

Badge +2

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am actually using Ground Units(None) only as an option.

@fmeuser2020​ Is it possible to share our workspace and data? You can send it directly to me if you prefer: mark @ safe . com

Hey, unfortunately, I am not allowed to do that. I can send a snip of the parameters in the buffer transformer, if that helps.

Badge +2

@fmeuser2020​ Without an example of the data it's hard for us to establish why the Bufferer might be struggling. Perhaps file a case with your local FME reseller.