Question

How to get Bufferer to behave the old way

• 15 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +10

Hi, we moved recently from FME 2017 to FME 2020. We noticed changes to the Bufferer transformer. We used round end caps and round corner styles. We use the end product to compare to the previous end product to detect if there are any changes. Since the new bufferer in FME 2020 works a bit different, the datasets are now rejected after switching to FME 2020. Which parameters do I have to set on the new bufferer to ensure the results from the workspace run under FME 2020 are the same as the results from the workspace run under FME 2017? We did upgrade the Bufferer transformer in the FME 2020 workspace.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Any specific reason (error message) it's rejecting the results from FME 2020? How do you have it set up now vs FME 2017?

A quick fix would be to copy an old Bufferer transformer in your workspace and don't update it.

Badge +10

Any specific reason (error message) it's rejecting the results from FME 2020? How do you have it set up now vs FME 2017?

A quick fix would be to copy an old Bufferer transformer in your workspace and don't update it.

Hi Hans, the vertices just do not line up together, that's the reject reason. I'd rather not leave an old bufferer in the workspace, but that's only gut-feeling. Thanks for the anwer, I'll have a look anyway.

Badge +2

Hi Hans, the vertices just do not line up together, that's the reject reason. I'd rather not leave an old bufferer in the workspace, but that's only gut-feeling. Thanks for the anwer, I'll have a look anyway.

@Helmoet de Zwijger​ Looks like this is also related to this discussion. Is it possible to attach a sample dataset and workspace that reproduces this. Perhaps the original 2017 version of part of the workspace.

Badge +8

Hi, I just created a new FME2017 workspace containing one creator (one single Line), one bufferer, a GeometryExtractor. The same in FME2020. Indeed, the results were different, yet after (in FME2020) adjusting both End Cap Style and Corner Style from Arc to Round, it gave the same results. This was not my experience earlier. Maybe I looked wrong.