Question

AGOL Writer: how to insert rows to AND maintain symbology of existing feature service published using ArcGIS Pro?

• 7 April 2021
  • 2 replies

I am attempting to use FME 2020.1 to update records in a feature service published to ArcGIS Online. I want to be able to set the symbology in ArcGIS Pro and initially create the feature service and symbology via ArcGIS Pro "Create Web Layer" operation. I am able to create the web layer and read with FME, but when I attempt to write to the existing feature layer (using mode INSERT and truncate YES), the translation says it is complete but no features are written in AGOL.

UPDATE

I seemed to have found the original issue.

• It appears that, when publishing the web layer from ArcGIS Pro, all feature layers that will be altered by FME need to have a template.
  • I was getting warning 24041: Layer does not have a feature template set when analyzing the map document for publishing and ignoring it.
  • I used the Create All Templates function to quickly add templates to all layers possible.
  • I re-published this new layer with templates, and was successfully able to truncate and insert to the existing layer using the AGOL writer in FME.

However, after FME truncated and loaded the modified data, the symbology originally carried by the layer from the published ArcGIS Pro project was lost.

Is there any way to preserve symbology in an AGOL web layer after a truncate and load with FME AGOL writer?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @jcollins_atx​ , thanks for posting. After taking a look at the Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service Reader/Writer documentation, it seems like we don't support creating new layers in an existing Feature Service yet (Writer Overview > Layer Creation). I have a feeling this is the issue, but am not entirely sure. Here is an article that demonstrates writing updates to an existing AGOL Feature Service, perhaps this could be used as a reference! Hope this helps, Kailin.

Hello @jcollins_atx​ , thanks for posting. After taking a look at the Esri ArcGIS Online (AGOL) Feature Service Reader/Writer documentation, it seems like we don't support creating new layers in an existing Feature Service yet (Writer Overview > Layer Creation). I have a feeling this is the issue, but am not entirely sure. Here is an article that demonstrates writing updates to an existing AGOL Feature Service, perhaps this could be used as a reference! Hope this helps, Kailin.

Thanks @kailinatsafe​ for the advice, and I do apologize that I didn't initially include many details. I'm just trying to write features to an existing layer name (published from ArcGIS Pro) without creating a new layer. This is the warning I occasionally get in the output:

Features not written - verify feature type fanout/dynamic settings

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

(Check that fanout/dynamic feature type attribute exists and has a value)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Total features not written 13708

I've tried the write using an automatic, manual, and dynamic schema definition to no avail. I will continue trying different configurations but am unsure what the problem is.