Question

How to translate mesh in local coordinates into a rectangle region in EPSG:4326?

• 26 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I want to translate my fbx mesh in local coordinates to a rectangle region in EPSG:4326. The mesh XY bounds has the same ratio as the rectangle region. I tried reprojecting the mesh from XY-M to EPSG:4326 and apply an offset to shift it to the rectangle center, but the reprojection doesn't seem to change the mesh vertex coordinates. How can I translate the fbx mesh in arbitrary coordinates to a point (or the origin) in EPSG:4326 coordinate system?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @meancat​ ,

If you know the lat/long coordinates of the origin the mesh, you can use the LocalCoordinateSystemSetter to create a custom local coordinate system on it. The mesh can now be reprojected to any other coordinate system with the CsmapReprojector or PROJReprojector.

The XY-M coordinate system isn't quite the same as a local coordinate system - it basically tells FME that you know the data is in meters, but you don't know where it is.

Thanks Dave, I realized that the Scaler and Offsetter transformers are not applying their transformations to the mesh vertex coordinates, but rather modifying the transformation matrix attribute. How can I transform mesh coordinates (i.e. coordinates in the IFMEMesh's vertex pool)?