Question

ESRI File Geodatabase Open API Read Only Error across Server/Network

• 25 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

Something very strange happening just wondering if anyone has had the same issue. I have a process that both reads and writes ESRI Geodatabases. In recent weeks I have noticed that every time I try and read in a geodatabase I get an error "Workspace or Data Source is Read-Only". I have checked my permissions, I have checked I am the only user accessing and all is fine, and the error disappears if I copy the gdb locally - this error only occurs when reading across my work network between servers - but I 100% have the correct permissions for the task. To add to the complexity, the error only happens about 90% of the time but on the odd occasion all works as intended.

Anyone any bright ideas?

Cheers,

Jack

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @jacklonsdale​ - a couple ideas come to mind:

1. Can you switch to using the  File Geodb(Geodatabase_File) format instead of the File Geodatabase Open API? This would require an ArcGIS License installed on your machine, but geodatabases are better supported with the File Geodb(Geodatabase_File) format.
  2. If the file geodatabases are on a network drive, ensure that no one else has it open (which it sounds like you've already done)

If you still don't have luck, would you mind sharing your log file? Are you reading and writing from the same geodatabase? Are you reading and writing from the same FeatureClass by chance? Are you working with any Relationship Classes in your file geodatabase?

Hi @jacklonsdale​ - a couple ideas come to mind:

1. Can you switch to using the  File Geodb(Geodatabase_File) format instead of the File Geodatabase Open API? This would require an ArcGIS License installed on your machine, but geodatabases are better supported with the File Geodb(Geodatabase_File) format.
  2. If the file geodatabases are on a network drive, ensure that no one else has it open (which it sounds like you've already done)

If you still don't have luck, would you mind sharing your log file? Are you reading and writing from the same geodatabase? Are you reading and writing from the same FeatureClass by chance? Are you working with any Relationship Classes in your file geodatabase?

Hi Nampreet,

I can try method number 1, but for the last couple of years I have been able to use the OpenAPI reader with the same data sources with no trouble, and I also get the same error when using ArcMap. I am reading from one geodatabase and writing to a different one, and when batching the process using a workspace runner it happens intermittently. Happens only across network servers and not locally (but my only option is to work across the servers).

I am pretty confident its something to do with IT config within my organisation and not an issue within FME itself, but was wondering if anyone could help me inform our IT guys what it could be.

Badge

Hi Nampreet,

I can try method number 1, but for the last couple of years I have been able to use the OpenAPI reader with the same data sources with no trouble, and I also get the same error when using ArcMap. I am reading from one geodatabase and writing to a different one, and when batching the process using a workspace runner it happens intermittently. Happens only across network servers and not locally (but my only option is to work across the servers).

I am pretty confident its something to do with IT config within my organisation and not an issue within FME itself, but was wondering if anyone could help me inform our IT guys what it could be.

Hi Jack, Nampreet,

I'm facing the exact same issue replicated with FME and ArcGIS Pro. Have you had any luck in resolving this?

Many thanks,

David.

Hi Nampreet,

Hi David,

This was a few years ago now - but from memory I think it was because the total file path length of the gdb was too many characters to read in, so it threw an error!

Would this make sense?

Cheers,

Jack