Question

Control execution order of parallel workspace runners

• 24 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have a series of WorkspaceRunners, they are parallel i.e. not connected in sequence. But I want to be sure that one of them is executed before the other.

Would it be possible to achieve this by connecting the first ones Summary port with the other WorkspaceRunner, having a FeatureHolder just before the later WorkspaceRunner? Anyone tried this?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Yea, something like this would work - might be better with a FeatureMerger set to 1=1 so you're not getting an extra feature passed to your WorkspaceRunner.

Depending on the previous transformers and overall structure of the workbench, simply settignthe runtime order out of the previous transformer may suffice. You can get to this by right clicking on the output port and select Set Runtime Order

Screenshot 2021-03-25 093736 

Badge

Thanks! I ended up using an aggregator, of the same reason you say, not go get another feature passed to the WorkspaceRunner.

I can't find the runtime order function though, what version/build are you on?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Thanks! I ended up using an aggregator, of the same reason you say, not go get another feature passed to the WorkspaceRunner.

I can't find the runtime order function though, what version/build are you on?

The functionality has existed for quite sometime...

Have a look here towards the bottom of the article

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/Controlling-Transformer-Flow-at-Runtime.htm