Solved

Why am I getting a 500 error or schema error when trying to access salesforce from FME? It seems like a permissions error of some sort, but it's like the reader accepts my credentials and tokens, then cannot find the tables in salesforce.

• 18 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Screenshots for how I filled out the parameters below. I have my organization's custom URL listed for host, my username, password, and security token listed. When I try to populate the table list, I get the error seen below. I know my 'API Enabled' setting in salesforce is true. I also get this error text occasionally: "Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'SALESFORCE' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information" Is there some other setting or access problem I'm having on the salesforce side? I read through the documentation and there isn't anything glaringly wrong.

icon

Best answer by chrisatsafe 19 March 2021, 22:54

View original

6 replies

Badge +2

Hi @dandgetz​ ,

Can you try authenticating using the default host: login.salesforce.com or just <instance>.my.salesforce.com.

If neither of those work, would you be able to try to reset your salesforce token.

I ran into a similar issue myself the other day and resetting both my token and password mysteriously made the error go away in my case. Unfortunately this isn't the best error message since there are no dependencies for the Salesforce Reader/Writer.

If you are still stuck, might be worthwhile to double check the Salesforce Web Service to see if you need to provide a new client id/secret in Tools > FME Options > Web Connections > Manage Web Services.

Hi @chrisatsafe​ 

Thank you for the detailed response. Turns out the 500 error was from my account being locked out for too many access attempts. I managed to make that go away with a reset. You were correct on that account. I need to talk to my administrator because my ability to reset my access token has disappeared from my salesforce options. I am hoping it's the token. That would be an easy fix.

Changing to the default host, or the <instance>.my.salesforce.com. didn't work for me unfortunately. The more generic one that the reader defaults to doesn't accept my credentials in browser or with the reader. It returns a 504 error and the message of invalid username/password. The other returns a proxy error, but I can't visit the URL in browser so I think the URL does not exist at all. Our URL setup must be non-standard.

I never set up the salesforce web connection so that could be the culprit too. I need to find the client ID and secret. Does the reader need that connection setup to work?

Badge +2

Hi @chrisatsafe​ 

Thank you for the detailed response. Turns out the 500 error was from my account being locked out for too many access attempts. I managed to make that go away with a reset. You were correct on that account. I need to talk to my administrator because my ability to reset my access token has disappeared from my salesforce options. I am hoping it's the token. That would be an easy fix.

Changing to the default host, or the <instance>.my.salesforce.com. didn't work for me unfortunately. The more generic one that the reader defaults to doesn't accept my credentials in browser or with the reader. It returns a 504 error and the message of invalid username/password. The other returns a proxy error, but I can't visit the URL in browser so I think the URL does not exist at all. Our URL setup must be non-standard.

I never set up the salesforce web connection so that could be the culprit too. I need to find the client ID and secret. Does the reader need that connection setup to work?

I've had success with both to be honest. I've been able to connect using the default host to production salesforce instances but needed to provide the <instance>.my.salesforce.co host for staging/developer instances.

I'd start with the token before going down the client id/secret route.

Out of curiosity, are you able to authenticate using the SalesforceConnector transformer?

I've had success with both to be honest. I've been able to connect using the default host to production salesforce instances but needed to provide the <instance>.my.salesforce.co host for staging/developer instances.

Out of curiosity, are you able to authenticate using the SalesforceConnector transformer?

Thanks for the tip on the token.

I have tried with the transformer. When I try to authenticate via the web service authentication popup, I get an OAuth error with an 1800 error code when trying to set up remote access. The error message from salesforce isn't very descriptive so I will ask my administrator about that as well. Maybe that has been disabled as a security feature. Again thank you for the help. I'll update when I can get my salesforce account fixed.

SalesforceSuccesSalesforceErrorUpdate on this. I was finally able to fix the token generation issue. Resetting my token and password did not help me when using the salesforce reader or salesforce connector. I also tried to create a connection to salesforce via the OAuth2 method in salesforce connections. This also didn't work and FME returns an 1800 error from salesforce. From the salesforce administrative log side it appears that I was successfully able to log in. So something is blocking me in the process. I'm not sure if it is a security control on the network, a security control in salesforce, or something I am doing wrong, but I can't access the tables. Any ideas?

I figured out the issue. My proxy settings in FME were set incorrectly. I had no proxy turned on. That was blocking my access to the salesforce endpoints.