Question

DWG writer doesn't pick up DWG template symbology

• 17 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

I'm trying to write data to DWG. For this I want to use the symbology in a DWG file here after called the template.

When I inspect the template, I can see all different line colors and line widths. However, when writing to DWG everything gets the same linestyle and color, eventhough I specify it differently.

My workbench look similar as the one in example 2 within this tutorial:

https://community.safe.com/s/article/working-with-the-dwgstyler

The only difference (as far as I can see of course) is that I have a different reader type.

I'm using FME 2019. I can't share the template or other data.

3 replies

Badge

@Hans van der Maarel

If I'm not mistaken you're very knowledgeable on symbology, so I figured I would add you since I haven't received any feedback on my question..:-). Thanks in advance

@Takashi Iijima​ your input is also greatly appreciated

See also the initial question.

I've since then figured out that the problem may lie in the fact that the layers within the DWG template file don't have just one type of symbology. For example layer1 in the template file has a line object with a certain color and width, but attached to that line there's also annotation with a certain color within the same layer. When using the DWG as template, and setting the DWG to be written according to the symbology in layer 1, I think the writer then doesn't know which symbology it is supposed to pick, and picks the first type of symbology it encounters?

Or would that not cause an issue?

The strange thing is that all the lines are written in the same color, even though, just like in the workbench in the tutorial, I specify them to be written in separate layers etc...

The issue really is that I have access to subset of data within an Oracle locator database. This data needs to be written to CAD with the same symbology as in the template file. The template file also contains the same subset of data as in the Oracle database, albeit in the desired symbology. If there is another way to accomplish this with applying a template file, or dwg styling (I've tried the matcher, change detector but they didn't work, the dwg styler also didn't work), I would love to hear it as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@Hans van der Maarel

If I'm not mistaken you're very knowledgeable on symbology, so I figured I would add you since I haven't received any feedback on my question..:-). Thanks in advance

@Takashi Iijima​ your input is also greatly appreciated

See also the initial question.

I've since then figured out that the problem may lie in the fact that the layers within the DWG template file don't have just one type of symbology. For example layer1 in the template file has a line object with a certain color and width, but attached to that line there's also annotation with a certain color within the same layer. When using the DWG as template, and setting the DWG to be written according to the symbology in layer 1, I think the writer then doesn't know which symbology it is supposed to pick, and picks the first type of symbology it encounters?

Or would that not cause an issue?

The strange thing is that all the lines are written in the same color, even though, just like in the workbench in the tutorial, I specify them to be written in separate layers etc...

The issue really is that I have access to subset of data within an Oracle locator database. This data needs to be written to CAD with the same symbology as in the template file. The template file also contains the same subset of data as in the Oracle database, albeit in the desired symbology. If there is another way to accomplish this with applying a template file, or dwg styling (I've tried the matcher, change detector but they didn't work, the dwg styler also didn't work), I would love to hear it as well.

I'm really not that much of an expert on DWG symbology, sorry, but I do think you're on the right path by noting that your template layers contain multiply symbologies. Can you try stripping the ones you don't need?

Badge

I'm really not that much of an expert on DWG symbology, sorry, but I do think you're on the right path by noting that your template layers contain multiply symbologies. Can you try stripping the ones you don't need?

Thank you so much for replying. Yes, I tried that, but so far no luck..:-( I'll keep on trying though..:-)