Question

Hosted client with FME Esri edition

Badge

HI,

We have a client who asks us the following question:

I would like to inquire before installing the FME ESRI edition license.

Indeed, we would like to integrate data into SDE database which is hosted on a dedicated server, does FME have to be on the same machine?

Currently we go through postgis / SDE connections via ArcCatalog.

A priori, we can write in the ESRI SDE, even if FME is not installed on the same machine?

Does it work a bit like Oracle / PostGIS?

Regards.

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi @pascalmortz​ 

Indeed, we would like to integrate data into SDE database which is hosted on a dedicated server, does FME have to be on the same machine?

FME will be installed on the machine, where a valid Esri product installed and licensed (i.e. ArcMap or ArcPro)

Can you clarify a bit more on your last question i.e "Does it work a bit like Oracle/PostGIS"

Are you referring to various underlying DB for SDE, If yes, FME does not care much about the underlying RDMS used to set up SDE, our Reader and Write works very similar to when using in native Esri application. You can perform operations like INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE, etc on existing tables or create new tables.

Please refer to the following article Tutorial: Getting Started with Geodatabase

Additionally, FME can read/write directly from Oracle or PostGIS (link to articles here), but require an FME Database Edition license ( refer here )

Badge

Hi Thanx !