Question

Why Snipper outputs an extra segment outside of measure range?

• 12 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

Input:

WB_FME2Output:

• linear reference worked correctly to produce the shorter segment on the left, but it also copied the other Track 1 line (mile 1 to 36.81)
  • Track 1 was originally a multi-part feature with a gap in the middle. I broke it to single-part thinking multi-part was causing the issue.
  • I checked the linear referenced route data, the measure limits contain the input ranges.

WB_FME1How do I know what went wrong?

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @cecshi25​ It's hard to tell what your input data looks like. Is the problem that you split an aggregate and now both features have the same values for MILE_START and MILE_END which were used in the Snipper?

Badge +2

Hi @cecshi25​ It's hard to tell what your input data looks like. Is the problem that you split an aggregate and now both features have the same values for MILE_START and MILE_END which were used in the Snipper?

WB_FME3FeatureMerger Requestor is an excel file with mile start and end values, Supplier is a calibrated routes spatial layer, with Track name being the join key.

WB_FME4The problem is when the aggregated track is split, the Snipper also outputs the reaggregated piece that is outside of the start and end value range. Any way to only output the track segment within the start and end value?

Badge +2

WB_FME3FeatureMerger Requestor is an excel file with mile start and end values, Supplier is a calibrated routes spatial layer, with Track name being the join key.

WB_FME4The problem is when the aggregated track is split, the Snipper also outputs the reaggregated piece that is outside of the start and end value range. Any way to only output the track segment within the start and end value?

@cecshi25​ I've reproduced your example - see the attached workspace (FME 2021).

This is actually by design. If the snip range is outside of the range of the feature, then FME will output a point. But in the case of multi-part lines, this doesn't really make sense. It looks like we should add an option to turn off this behaviour. In the meantime your workaround is to include the GeometryFilter