Question

Any help with error "File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\ffs.fmf could not be opened"

• 11 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Could anyone help me understand why I get the following error. It currently occurs at a junction but if I replace the junction with a normal connector then it just occurs elsewhere so it doesn't seem to be related to the transformer.

Junction_139_Output Feature Recorder -1 2147615843 (RecorderFactory): File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\ffs.fmf could not be opened

File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\ffs.fmf could not be opened

I've tried running FME as an administrator in case that helped but got the same result. I also googled and found a similar issue but that related to just \\.fmf file and was apparently caused by databasejoiner which I'm not using. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled FME.

If I disable feature caching then the workspace runs fine but that means I can't debug anything unfortunately.

3 replies

any luck? I am facing the same issue. My FME desktop version is FME(R) 2019.1.1.0 (20190801 - Build 19617 - WIN64). following is the error that it displays. Reader_2 below is a featureReader transformer.

Reader_2_INITIATOR Feature Recorder -1 2147812177 (RecorderFactory): File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\ffs.fmf could not be opened

File C:\\Program Files\\FME\\metafile\\ffs.fmf could not be opened

Badge +11

Hi @Usman Yousaf​,

It looks like this issue was resolved by development for FME 2020.0 and newer versions to have a clearer error message. From what I can find on this error, this usually occurs when feature caching is on running very large workspaces with database connections, and caching exceeds 682 outputs.

There's a few things you can do to prevent this error:

• Place transformers in bookmarks and collapse them when running (so that only one output for the section is cached rather than each transformer).
  • Use partial runs for the authoring process, such as 'Run to This'
  • disable feature caching

Hope that helps!

I didn't have any luck (or responses) - as per the question, disabling feature caching stops the problem from happening but of course you then have feature caching disabled so good luck debugging anything from there. The problem with this error is it occurs on big workspaces which is exactly when you need feature caching the most. The statement by the safer that this issue was 'resolved' by making the error message clearer sounds rather optimistic to me - for me not being able to debug large workspaces doesn't really sound like a fix. I tried the bookmarks approach suggested but this didn't work for me (but may do on the latest version so worth a go!), partial runs was also a none starter as that seemed to have some other issues like getting inconsistent results at the end (again possibly fixed in latest version?). Good luck!