Question

Building IFC to GDB the correct way - questions

I am working on a pipeline that will take unsanitised Revit and Rhino models to IFC to GDB. The discussion I would like to have is:

1. I have looked at the older threads about this, and have found some good FME workbenches. the best of the workbenches do have unpredictable problems, for example i got this error "Expression: edgeCurves_[edge].has_value()". I will begin recording the fatal errors here and see if people have ways to address it.
  2. I havent found a way to build a GDB file that retains the layering in the original file. Anyone have done this before? Or is it not possible because of the IFC format?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Can you expand on point 2? By layering do you mean the order in which surfaces are rendered? That will be a real challenge I would think. Or do you just mean the layer names - If so you should be able to set up a dynamic workflow to handle the layer/schema definitions.

For point one - FME sometimes has issues reading IFC files - It actually occurs when the CSG Geometries get Evaluated. When reading native Revit files there isn't an issue.

Another issue can occur if using geometry tools which have a low tolerance (E.g., trying to repair some self intersections).

Good luck!

Can you expand on point 2? By layering do you mean the order in which surfaces are rendered? That will be a real challenge I would think. Or do you just mean the layer names - If so you should be able to set up a dynamic workflow to handle the layer/schema definitions.

For point one - FME sometimes has issues reading IFC files - It actually occurs when the CSG Geometries get Evaluated. When reading native Revit files there isn't an issue.

Another issue can occur if using geometry tools which have a low tolerance (E.g., trying to repair some self intersections).

Good luck!

Hello ! Yes I just mean to:

1. Retain the layering of the model that is in the original Revit file. This layer should be nested and retain colour / layer names when transferred to GDB.
  2. Also it would also be necessary to find out how to build the layering information from grasshopper + geometry gym, based on existing rhino's layer structure, so that it gets read correctly in FME.

For point 1 - would it be possible to filter these elements that cannot be read , or does it get stuck in the reader component?