Question

Reading features using ArcGIS Portal Feature Service reader

I have a workspace which reads data from Esri portal using a feature reader (ArcGIS Portal Feature Service reader). With some services and datasets I get the following error from ArcGIS;

Is there a way to 'retry' the service if this error arises, so that the extract can continue rather than having to start again?

Maybe add a parameter to the reader which specifies the number of retries.

3 replies

Here is the error by the way. error

Badge +8

Hi @Stuart Voerman​ 

I think this error is related to schema misconfiguration.  It most likely issues where there is an attribute that exceeds the Maximum Lenght on the output format(most likely as String attribute).  

We have fixed this issue in FME Desktop 2021(Downloads link), currently, it's under betas. 

If you are not able to use betas, you can try the following workaround 

Get the Schema information from the writer (right-click Show annotation). 

Use AttributeValidator, to confirm which attribute is causing the issue. 

Use AttributeManager to trim the attribute that exceeds the limit. e.g. the following in the AttributeManger will ensure that all the attribute values will get trim to 254. 

@Substring(@Value(att),0,253)

Hi @Stuart Voerman​ 

I think this error is related to schema misconfiguration.  It most likely issues where there is an attribute that exceeds the Maximum Lenght on the output format(most likely as String attribute).  

We have fixed this issue in FME Desktop 2021(Downloads link), currently, it's under betas. 

If you are not able to use betas, you can try the following workaround 

Get the Schema information from the writer (right-click Show annotation). 

Use AttributeValidator, to confirm which attribute is causing the issue. 

Use AttributeManager to trim the attribute that exceeds the limit. e.g. the following in the AttributeManger will ensure that all the attribute values will get trim to 254. 

@Substring(@Value(att),0,253)

Hi @rahulsharma​ 

Thanks for looking at this.

I've run the workspace using the 2021beta release and get the same error. Because I am writing with a generic feature writer

I don't know the output schema till runtime. Could that be the issue?

The workspace is failing during the read so I can't use the AttributeValidator or AttributeManager transformers to test values in the translation.