Question

Fatal error when writing a shapefile to an sqlserver database

• 15 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +6

Hi, I am getting a fatal error when I use a shapefile reader and an sqlserver writer. I am simply trying to create a new table in an existing sqlserver database. The projection is LL84 in the shapefile. I can select the database in the writer, so I know there is a connection. Any advice welcome. thanks, Here is some of the log file: TABLE SDF_2_Schema.[SHIM_STREAMS_line] ([Name] varchar(254), [Url] varchar(254), [Key] varchar(254), [Autogenera] integer, [GEOM] geometry)'. Provider error `(2760) The specified schema name "SDF_2_Schema" either does not exist or you do not have permission to use it.'

2021-02-14 14:15:26|  1.1| 0.0|ERROR |Microsoft SQL Server Spatial Writer: Failed to create the destination table for feature type `SDF_2_Schema.SHIM_STREAMS_line'

2021-02-14 14:15:26|  1.1| 0.0|ERROR |MSSQL_SPATIAL writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

2021-02-14 14:15:26|  1.1| 0.0|ERROR |auto __cdecl DynaWriteChannel::putFeature::<lambda_de445ec4033891b5977d661108460104>::operator ()(void) const(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\pluginbuilder\\pluginbuilder_cpp\\dynawch.cpp:125) - auto __cdecl DynaWriteChannel::putFeature::<lambda_de445ec4033891b5977d661108460104>::operator ()(void) const(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\pluginbuilder\\pluginbuilder_cpp\\dynawch.cpp:125)

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Do the credentials you're using to connect to SQL have the appropriate rights to write/create/use the schema on that database?

If you connect to the database using SQL Manager can you create a table in that database using the same credentials?

Badge +6

Yes I just tested adding a new table via ssms and it works. I have full admin rights

Badge +6

Do the credentials you're using to connect to SQL have the appropriate rights to write/create/use the schema on that database?

If you connect to the database using SQL Manager can you create a table in that database using the same credentials?

Hi there, I am writing to an existing database and want to create a new table so there is no schema there to worry about.. There are a few other tables in it though. I can manually create and save a new table using ssms as I have full admin rights.
Badge +11

Hi @masonb12​ ,

We heard you were able to get past this by using a different tablename.

In my tests I had no issues creating this table with the same name.

Were there any other messages in the log file that might indicate troubles?

Badge +6

Hi @masonb12​ ,

It was the name of the shapefile itself that was causing the problem. I just changed the name of the shapefile and now it works fine. But I am having another issue trying to read microsoft access and write to sqlserver. It looks like we are missing a driver because microsoft access is not installed.
Badge +6

Hi @masonb12​ ,

Here is the new error I am getting when working with microsoft access database and sql server: ADO Provider not installed or not compatible with FME architecture. Try installing Microsoft Access 2013 Runtime (x64); follow this link for more information: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39358 Plugin 'MDB_ADO' was loaded, but a reader could not be created. Error was #1: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details Failed to open the dataset 'C:\\Users\\bmason\\Documents\\TESTSHIMWATERCOURSES\\SHIM2004.mdb' DATASET INFO: DATASET: C:\\Users\\bmason\\Documents\\TESTSHIMWATERCOURSES\\SHIM2004.mdb NUMBER OF PARAMETERS: 0