Question

My simple join is a dog!

• 10 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +14

I am in the process of aggregating some polygons, then joining these simplified polygons (geometry) with sensor data (no geometry) on a common field. It doesn't matter whether I am using the FeatureJoiner, or the FeatureMerger my process is taking way longer than what I know FME is capable of doing. I purged the temp data, as well as turned off feature caching to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Just to be sure, is FeatureCaching on or off?

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Where is the non geometry sensor data coming from and how big is it? Perhaps there is an option to use a databasejoiner to avoid having to read all the data in?

Badge +14

Just to be sure, is FeatureCaching on or off?

off

Badge +14

Where is the non geometry sensor data coming from and how big is it? Perhaps there is an option to use a databasejoiner to avoid having to read all the data in?

It's only about 15k records. I pushed it from SQL Server into MS Access. I had another process doing that for multiple sensors. It is running, just not at the speed I would assume it should. It is joining one polygon and making 15k polygons, so I change it to a temporal layer. I have tested the process, and the result works, but it is just a dog on a system with 64Gb of RAM. FME shouldn't even blink at this process. I also upgraded the FeatureMerger transformer to the latest version, but it didn't help the situation.

Badge +22

Are you using suppliers first?

Badge +14

Are you using suppliers first?

No. I could get it to work, but I had to break the processing into separate workbench files, or I should say a fresh workbench file. It was very odd. Either the data was corrupted, or the workbench file, I think. Adding more time based filtering at some point soon. I will have to walk a little slower in my testing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

It's only about 15k records. I pushed it from SQL Server into MS Access. I had another process doing that for multiple sensors. It is running, just not at the speed I would assume it should. It is joining one polygon and making 15k polygons, so I change it to a temporal layer. I have tested the process, and the result works, but it is just a dog on a system with 64Gb of RAM. FME shouldn't even blink at this process. I also upgraded the FeatureMerger transformer to the latest version, but it didn't help the situation.

Out of curiousity, what version of FME are you using?