Solved

I have been given a DEM and an aerial image of the property where we hold a camp and I would like to build is a Minecraft World to scale. Is there someone or some way that we could use FME to create this?

• 10 February 2021
  • 8 replies
  • 1 view

Hello,

I am a youth volunteer with a medieval boys camp. Since Covid hit, we have not been able to attend any camps for safety reasons. I have been given a DEM and an aerial image of the property where we hold the camp and I would like to build a Minecraft World to scale, so we could attend virtually. I found some info about how to use FME to translate the DEM into a Minecraft world, but I need help. 

Is there someone or some way that you could use your software to help us create this? I am an expert with Minecraft but as a 15-year old, I have no idea how to use FME.

Thanks For Your Time, 

Kaleb McNeil

icon

Best answer by caracadrian 10 February 2021, 07:35

View original

8 replies

Badge +20

The Mojang Minecraft Writer requires a Pointcloud based dataset.

You should combine your DEM and aerial image via RasterBandCombiner (some resampling may be needed), convert them to pointcloud via PointCloudCombiner and thin the pointcloud to your desired blocksize (I think they are called blocks, I haven't played Minecraft in a while).

Then you have to set up a few attributes/components.

It's a lot more work than what I described but it will take you there.

Have fun!

Badge +20

Tip: Read/Inspect an existing level.dat file to get a sense of what is your desired output should be.

Also: Read the documentation to get a sense of how the coordinate system works Mojang Minecraft Reader/Writer (safe.com)

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Have a look here: https://community.safe.com/s/article/how-to-make-minecraft-worlds

Do you know if I could use this method to generate custom trees in a randomized order if a set of 5 unique trees

Thanks For Your Time,

Kaleb McNeil

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Do you know if I could use this method to generate custom trees in a randomized order if a set of 5 unique trees

Thanks For Your Time,

Kaleb McNeil

(i've never used minecraft) you could assign each of the 5 trees a number (1-5) and then assuming you have locations where you want trees, use the random number generator to pick a number between 1 and 5. you can join/place that tree to that location using the featuremerger

Tip: Read/Inspect an existing level.dat file to get a sense of what is your desired output should be.

Also: Read the documentation to get a sense of how the coordinate system works Mojang Minecraft Reader/Writer (safe.com)

I will, Thank you

The Mojang Minecraft Writer requires a Pointcloud based dataset.

You should combine your DEM and aerial image via RasterBandCombiner (some resampling may be needed), convert them to pointcloud via PointCloudCombiner and thin the pointcloud to your desired blocksize (I think they are called blocks, I haven't played Minecraft in a while).

Then you have to set up a few attributes/components.

It's a lot more work than what I described but it will take you there.

Have fun!

That's Perfect this way I don't have to set up a block randomizer for the ground level stuff

Thanks For Your Time,

Kaleb McNeil

Thanks For Your Time,

Kaleb McNeil

Thanks, ill give it a go