Question

How to get 3D buildings from Lidar Data

• 4 February 2021
  • 3 replies

CaptureCapture2I have a 2D shapefile of the building footprints (without the building heights in the attributes) and Lidar data. Is there a way to clip the pointcloud according to the building footprints and then extrude according to the pointcloud?

I've looked at this webinar, specifically Demo 6, https://www.safe.com/webinars/gain-total-control-of-your-lidar-and-point-cloud-data/ but the reader is giving me errors because the building reader is having troubles reading the building attributes I think.

3 replies

Badge +20

You can clip the pointcloud to inside the building footprints then use PointCloudStatisticsCalculator to get the Max of z (or whatever component you want). Than extrude.

Another way would be to drape the building footprints on to the pointcloud then extrude to the groudlevel.

Or clip as in first example, turn pointcloud to mesh, then extrude to ground.

If you have trouble with a Reader you should post more details about it.

You can clip the pointcloud to inside the building footprints then use PointCloudStatisticsCalculator to get the Max of z (or whatever component you want). Than extrude.

Another way would be to drape the building footprints on to the pointcloud then extrude to the groudlevel.

Or clip as in first example, turn pointcloud to mesh, then extrude to ground.

If you have trouble with a Reader you should post more details about it.

Here is the error that Im currently getting Capture3Im just guessing this means that I'm having errors with the reader. In this next photo is the User Attributes

Capture4When I create a new reader using my own shape file this is the user attributes that I get Capture5Just wanted to note that the workspace is taken from one of the webinars and I dont know how to modify it myself. This is the workspaceCapture6

Badge +20

Here is the error that Im currently getting Capture3Im just guessing this means that I'm having errors with the reader. In this next photo is the User Attributes

Capture4When I create a new reader using my own shape file this is the user attributes that I get Capture5Just wanted to note that the workspace is taken from one of the webinars and I dont know how to modify it myself. This is the workspaceCapture6

Replace your Lidar data Reader with your pointcloud.