Solved

Recovery - Workspace closed unexpectedly and deleted from local folder

While opening up a transformer in a FME workbench (used through the interoperability extension in ArcGIS Pro), the work closed suddenly, and the .fmw is now completely gone. When I attempted to select it in 'recent workspaces' when opening FME it informed me it doesn't exist (cue mini heart attack).

Right now all I have is a RECOVER file in my folder, and I'm really hoping this can recover my project since it was a pretty time-intensive endeavor.

Can the RECOVER file be used to bring back that workspace? Is there any other way to recover it?

icon

Best answer by jlbaker2779 23 January 2021, 22:50

View original

11 replies

Badge +2

If you open the file there should be a path in there. Check to see if that exists. None of the files will have extensions in the folder it leads to. Sort by date and size, open the ones that look like the size of your original workbench with notepad and see if it's a workbench. If you're lucky, you can copy the file and then add .fmw on the end and open it. 

If it's not there, you will get to make a newer faster version with everything you have learned since the time of original creation.  :D

The file you are looking for will will start with something like this;

#! <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
#! <WORKSPACE
#!   ATTR_TYPE_ENCODING="SDF"
#!   BEGIN_PYTHON=""
#!   BEGIN_TCL=""
#!   CATEGORY=""
#!   DESCRIPTION=""
#!   DESTINATION="NONE"
#!   DESTINATION_ROUTING_FILE=""
#!   DOC_EXTENTS="16246.1 5532.61"
#!   DOC_TOP_LEFT="-272.002 -3090.31"
#!   END_PYTHON=""
#!   END_TCL=""
#!   EXPLICIT_BOOKMARK_ORDER="false"
#!   FME_BUILD_NUM="20726"
#!   FME_DOCUMENT_GUID="204c758e-853b-489c-8bd8-dd8573f1a4af"
#!   FME_DOCUMENT_PRIORGUID="91b70d50-2872-4c

Well that was a roller-coaster of emotions -- I did exactly as you said and it worked perfectly. Thanks a ton; that was a lifesaver, but unfortunately I guess I'll get to practice recreating a massive ETL some other time!

Badge +2

Well that was a roller-coaster of emotions -- I did exactly as you said and it worked perfectly. Thanks a ton; that was a lifesaver, but unfortunately I guess I'll get to practice recreating a massive ETL some other time!

Glad it worked out!

I use DropBox basic to store stuff. It's free up to 2GB and you map it to a c:/ path so you don't really have to change your work processes to store your data. Also has a version recovery and whatnot to save you from a soul crushing loss. :D

https://www.dropbox.com/basic

Badge +2

@tarikc​ Can you let us know what version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro you are using at the time this happened? That might help us track down the cause of the workspace file deletion.

@tarikc​ Can you let us know what version of ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro you are using at the time this happened? That might help us track down the cause of the workspace file deletion.

I was using ArcGIS Pro 2.6.0; hope this helps uncover the issue!

Badge

I have had this happen on 3 occasions. ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and 2.7. No luck with the recoveries. Strange thing for me is that each time it not only deleted the .fmw that I was using, but all other .fmw files that were saved in the same folder. I had no backup the first time, but I have since been a lot more careful about backup and only lost smaller portions of my work.

Badge

I have had this happen on 3 occasions. ArcGIS Pro 2.6 and 2.7. No luck with the recoveries. Strange thing for me is that each time it not only deleted the .fmw that I was using, but all other .fmw files that were saved in the same folder. I had no backup the first time, but I have since been a lot more careful about backup and only lost smaller portions of my work.

This has now happened a 4th time to me. All .fmw files saved in the same folder deleted.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

This has now happened a 4th time to me. All .fmw files saved in the same folder deleted.

Hi @arhayes​,

Sorry to hear you're still having this issue. I just wanted to ask a few questions before I move forward with some recommendations:

Which version of FME are you using?

Would you be able to attach a sample workspace along with the source data? If you're not comfortable with sending the files here, don't worry! I can open a support case for you and dive deeper into this issue.

I'm here using ArcPro 2.8.0, I attempted to download the Hub transformer "LogWriter" and the workspace crashed. After this I've been unable to re-open it from the Catalog in Pro, the extension will not launch unless I create a new workspace. I see the files are still there, and it appears it auto generated a RECOVER file as well. I didn't create the copy or backup files, but those are there too.

imageHowever, I tried to use the .recover file, removing the ".recover" extension. But I see this when opening it:

imageAny thoughts on how I can get this workbench to open again... (cry)

I'm here using ArcPro 2.8.0, I attempted to download the Hub transformer "LogWriter" and the workspace crashed. After this I've been unable to re-open it from the Catalog in Pro, the extension will not launch unless I create a new workspace. I see the files are still there, and it appears it auto generated a RECOVER file as well. I didn't create the copy or backup files, but those are there too.

imageHowever, I tried to use the .recover file, removing the ".recover" extension. But I see this when opening it:

imageAny thoughts on how I can get this workbench to open again... (cry)

I got the file to open back up with the Copy, but within a few minutes the file completely deleted itself as reported above by others. Big yikes! Will be backing up manually frequently now... hope it can be resolved.

Badge

Hello!

Not sure how relevant this is, but I also had my workspace deleted "unexpectedly". Workbench did not crash, but I re-booted the computer. When I got the computer restarted, the workspace was gone. A recovery file was present in the folder, however the link/path in that recovery file was empty so nothing could be recovered.

In my case, it was our Microsoft One-drive that was the cause, and the reason was I had an older workspace, in another folder but with the same name. The older workspace, and the folder, was checked in, while the new one was on my local disk. D'oh! So I learned something new (do not confuse M$ Onedrive), the hard way 😁