Solved

Creating DGN v8 files with embedded attributes ?

• 5 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi.

Am I correct in assuming, that the DGNV8 writer cannot output neither tags nor XAttributes ?

I found this tutorial on writing tags, but it doesn't seem to work: https://community.safe.com/s/article/writing-microstation-dgn-tags-with-fme

I then found this page, that says that both tags and XAttributes can be read, but not written: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/igds/DGNV8_reader.htm

Can or cannot ?

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 5 January 2021, 18:08

View original

4 replies

Badge +10

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

It is possible to write DGN tags using the V8 writer.

The documentation you pointed to is for the DGN V8 Reader, so it is covering what is possible to be read in. While as you pointed out, we cannot write XAttributes.

The article that you linked is quite detailed for how to set up your workflow to write tags. If you're wanting some more information, review the writer feature type information here (making note of the tag specific information) as well as the dedicated tag page here.

Perhaps you can share your workspace and a sample dataset to help further assist.

Andrea

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

The documentation you pointed to is for the DGN V8 Reader, so it is covering what is possible to be read in. While as you pointed out, we cannot write XAttributes.

The article that you linked is quite detailed for how to set up your workflow to write tags. If you're wanting some more information, review the writer feature type information here (making note of the tag specific information) as well as the dedicated tag page here.

Perhaps you can share your workspace and a sample dataset to help further assist.

Andrea

Hi Andrea.

So it is possible ? Unfortunately it's not working for me, I think.

The attributes I need to insert are dynamically defined, so I'm adding them programmatically with some PythonCallers.

This means that the attributes are not exposed (cannot be done programmatically!) in the Workbench interface, but they all do show up as expected in the Inspector after the PythonCaller has run.

Does exposing attributes make a difference wrt. the DGN v8 writing ?

Cheers.

Ps! I'll upload a template if my Microstation guy cannot find my tags in the output DGN. I'm working with a test sample anyway.

Pps! For debug I've tried adding a hardcoded tag with AttributeCreator, much like the article shows, but still nothing works.

Userlevel 1
Badge +22

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

Andrea

Hi again Andrea.

I got tags to work using my PythonCallers. Yay.

Unfortunately tags aren't being displayed in the Bentley View I have, so I had to get my Microstation guy open the resulting DGN in the full Microstation to acknowledge that tags were being written :-/

But my Microstatation guy also says, that tags are now being deprecated in favor of "Items" (XAttributes?). These new attributes are being used in Microstation Connect as far as I understand.

Are FME planning on supporting these "Items" ? Maybe in 2021 ??

Cheers.

Badge +10

Hi again Andrea.

I got tags to work using my PythonCallers. Yay.

Unfortunately tags aren't being displayed in the Bentley View I have, so I had to get my Microstation guy open the resulting DGN in the full Microstation to acknowledge that tags were being written :-/

But my Microstatation guy also says, that tags are now being deprecated in favor of "Items" (XAttributes?). These new attributes are being used in Microstation Connect as far as I understand.

Are FME planning on supporting these "Items" ? Maybe in 2021 ??

Cheers.

Hi @Lars I Nielsen​ ,

Great to hear that the tags are displaying in Microstation.

As for support for DGN Items, we did add support for reading these type of attributes in FME 2019.2. But support for writing is still outstanding, you can vote on the idea here.

-Andrea