Solved

How can I send seperate Username and Password to 1000 Users via Email?

• 18 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I have 1000 users who I have created user accounts and have their details in a excel sheet.

The excel sheet contains their username and password along with email.

I am trying to figure out what is the easiest way to send each user their username and password without individually doing the task.

I am struggling to understand where to get started with this apart from using the emailer option.

This is a possible example https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/3560-excel-send-personalized-email.html

Thank You

icon

Best answer by davtorgh 19 December 2020, 00:50

View original

2 replies

Badge +4

Hi @cardiofaz​ ,

it's quite simple and the Emailer is the right choice. If your Excel sheet has 'user', 'password' and 'email' columns, when you read the sheet with the Excel Reader you get 1000 features with these attributes. Send them to the Emailer, use the 'email' attribute in the 'To:' parameter, setup other values with your email credential (smtp or Gmail account) and write a body cointaining some fixed text and these attributes:

Hi @Value(user),

this is your @Value(password).

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 4

Just a couple of thoughts

1. Sending passwords by mail is very insecure, especially if the user isn't forced to immediatly change the password. If possible, you should consider only sending them the link to reset the password, where they get a one-time link back to their registered email.
  2. Be careful about sending large amounts of mail very quickly, unless the mail server "knows" you and your use case, you or your organisation might end up on a blacklist for spammers, and it can be a hassle to fix later. If you plan to use FME and the Emailer transformer, consider also using Decelerator transformer to reduce the frequency. Perhaps also communicate with your ISP or IT department before doing this, as the mail allowances can vary a lot.