Question

How to manually remove FME2018.1?

• 31 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Uninstaller fails with "Error Code 2330", so going to have to manually clean it out looks like.

An unfortunate consequence of our Corporate ICT policies setting the FME2018.1 package to automatically reinstall itself, even after the upgrade to FME2020.0 had just uninstalled it, and now I'm trying to repair the whole mess.

2 replies

Badge +3

After spending some hours on trying all sorts of things, like trying to manually synchronise both the local Documents folder on C:\\ and the Windows Redirected Documents Network folder location, I finally found a workaround that seems to work.

It isn't for the faint hearted though. I had to get into the Windows Registry and hack Windows to temporarily reset the Documents Folder location back to %USERPROFILE%\\Documents (ie. Windows default). This change is going to get wiped out the next time I login and my Corporate Group Policy is reapplied, but it stayed like this long enough for the MSI file to run in Uninstall mode, so "Error Code 2330" appears to be a symptom of it trying to uninstall Folders/Files that don't exist on the local hard drive since that Windows repoints any references to these User Shell folders to the Network Corporate Share.

Windows Regkey to hack is:

HKCU\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\User Shell Folders

Runtime Error 2330 occurs when Quicktime crashes or crashes during startup, hence the name. This doesn't necessarily mean that the code was corrupted somehow; it just didn't work at runtime. Such an error appears on the screen as an annoying notification if it is not fixed. Part of the problem may be that the hard drive is not working properly. Try to perform the HARD DRIVE RECOVERY procedure and compare the result of the PC. There may be cases of deleted files or new files appearing. Although this symptom is mainly related to virus infection, it can be attributed to the symptoms of a runtime error since virus infection is one of the causes of a runtime error.