Question

3D Generalizer

• 13 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I want to know if there's a way to Generalize (in 3D) a 3D line. Common Generalizer tools are for 2D lines. But is a 3D Genralizer tool exist? I mean if I want to generalize a 3D line from a Z tolerance. Imagine a 3D polyline with ups and downs and I want to smooth or generalize the line. And the resulting line is within 20cm (in 3D) from the original 3D line.

Thanks, Frank

6 replies

Badge +12

I see that it exists as an Idea, so you can go and vote for it.

https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000TlhnQAC/detail

Badge

@jonas_nelson : vote already done! :)

Badge +2

Can you not change them to 2D, generalize, and set them back to 3d and extrude to the original height? Attached .fmwt example

Workbench

workbench

3d walls to be generalized

3d_non_Gen

Generalized walls

3d_gen

Overlay walls to compare

generalized3d

Hi guys,

I'm searching for an oportunity to generalize line-objects in 3D, too.

jlbaker's workflow does not work for me, because I want to include the height difference of the points during the generalization. In other words, if there are two consecutive points in a distance bigger than the tolerance, they should both remain.

Any ideas?

@fjoyal​ @ands​ @Mark Stoakes​ 

Did anyone solve this issue?

My current custom transformer is static in terms of it will remove all vertices at once, however i need it to check interpolated value differences after a vertice has been removed and them move on to the next vertice.

Any help will be appreciated.

Badge

​No answer for now. jlbaker2779's solution doesn't solve it. Not exactly what I'm looking for.