Solved

IFCPHYSICALCOMPLEXQUANTITY not read in FME FeatureReader

• 27 August 2020
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I have an issue reading ifc files containing an IFC Class called:

IFCPHYSICALCOMPLEXQUANTITY 

https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC/RELEASE/IFC4/ADD2_TC1/HTML/schema/ifcquantityresource/lexical/ifcphysicalcomplexquantity.htm

I have tried using a feature reader to read different types of Ifc Files, but to no avail, the file gets rejected. I found a work around, where I would open the ifc file as a text file and replace the IFCPHYSICALCOMPLEXQUANTITY with IFCPHYSICALSIMPLEQUANTITY and then save and close the txt file and run the fme desktop script again, which then opens the ifc file!? Does anyone know how to read ifc files with this class? I am worried that by changing the text, I might lose some dependencies or relations within the ifc structure.

Feature Request Rejection code:

'ISO10303-21: Unable to open STEP file:

W:\\000_mitarbeiterInnen\\000_fs\\02_FME_Watcher\\000_RawData\\TN05_V1_BEM_200827.ifc'. Please check that the file is readable.

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

IfcFeatureReader

Secondly, I made a small script in fme to try and replace the txt file string with a stringreplacer when I happen to receive such an ifc file, but the result is that I get an error when trying to open the ifc file again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached is a screenshot of an attempted string replacer and the error that follows:

IfcStringReplacer

Opening my edited ifc file gives this error:

ISO10303-21: The input data contains a syntax error at the beginning of the file. The file should start with 'ISO-10303-21'. Ensure the file is in an ASCII character system, with no byte order marker.

syntax error, unexpected P21_TOK_STRING

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 16 September 2020, 23:51

View original

4 replies

Badge +11

Hi @freddy17​,

Sorry to hear that you've run into this issue. May I ask what version and build of FME you are running? You can check by going to Help > About FME Workbench. It looks like support for IFC4 Addendum 2 TC1 was added fairly recently for FME 2020.0 for builds 20139 and higher so that would be the first thing to check.

If an upgrade doesn't apply or you already have a build that should contain this support, would it be possible to share a sample IFC file with the IFCPHYSICALCOMPLEXQUANTITY class? If data is private and you would rather not share it here, let me know and I can turn this question into a case so you can email your data directly to us.

Badge +1

Hi Jovita,

I am running FME Desktop: FME(R) 2020.1.0.1 (20200710 - Build 20596 - WIN64)

Great, please open it as a case, as I would like to share a file with you. I have not been able to solve this issue for any .ifc files containing objects in the models like slabs or walls. (Which is about 50%) of that I would like to use in my workflow.

Thank you in advance

Fred

Badge +11

I'm pleased to announce that a recent update to FME 2020.2 (build 20755 and higher) has fixed the issue of reading the IFCCOMPLEXPHYSICALQUANTITY class. You can find the build in our beta downloads. Should you have any feedback on the update, please don't hesitate to reach out (:

Badge +1

Hi Jovita, this is great news! I will try it out as soon as possible. Thank you for the amazing support!