Solved

Is there a way to extract ALL domains in an Esri GDB?

Badge +2

Here is the background. Esri uses subtype/domain objects in its GDB implementation instead of native RDBMS' relational tables with foreign key constraints. The result is often "nu-disciplined" databases from the RDBMS standpoint. I hope to create relational tables to protect data assets by extracting all the domains in our GDB.

icon

Best answer by bwn 27 August 2020, 10:09

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Check if these articles can help you: https://community.safe.com/s/article/extract-geodatabase-coded-domain-definitions

Badge +2

@oscard, The article you referred to appears to show reading known domains from a feature class. We are looking for a method that reads ALL existing domains defined in an entire SDE-based or File-based GDB.

Badge +1

There is a function in the Esri data access (da) module that lets you list all domains.

import arcpy
domains = arcpy.da.ListDomains("C:/Boston/Boston.gdb")
for domain in domains:
    print('Domain name: {0}'.format(domain.name))
    if domain.domainType == 'CodedValue':
        coded_values = domain.codedValues
        for val, desc in coded_values.items():
            print('{0} : {1}'.format(val, desc))
    elif domain.domainType == 'Range':
        print('Min: {0}'.format(domain.range[0]))
        print('Max: {0}'.format(domain.range[1]))

I expect that you do not want to use an Esri licence? But since it is a proprietary structure you really don't have a choice. You could use a python caller inside a workbench.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

As an alternative you can use the custom transformer "Read ESRI GDB Domain Data" which you can find from the FME hub, but the way it handles the key-value pairs it fails when the description has a colon in it. (For example "Paint: green".) I created an FME version once, but it also wasn't foolproof either. I think @kimo​ is right, for the best results you should use Python to do this.

Badge +2

Thanks, @kimo​  and @nielsgerrits​ . I tried the Hub Xformer "Read_ESRI_GDB_Domain_Data," which requires an input attribute known to have domain. Yes, I'll explore Python and Esri DA as suggested.

Badge +2

@Bo Guo​  You need to extract the domains and subtypes from an Esri Geodatabase XML Workspace document using the FME XML reader, as described in the article: Geodatabase XML Workspace Document Schema Reader

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

@Bo Guo​  You need to extract the domains and subtypes from an Esri Geodatabase XML Workspace document using the FME XML reader, as described in the article: Geodatabase XML Workspace Document Schema Reader

@Mark Stoakes​ is it possible to automate the export of the XML Workspace document without the use of ESRI's software?

Badge +1

@Mark Stoakes​ is it possible to automate the export of the XML Workspace document without the use of ESRI's software?

No. You have to use another ArcGIS function. I have recently written a tool to export a geodatabase to Excel, including translating the domain descriptiions and adding the domains as separate tables. But all in python using the arcpy module.

Badge +2

@nielsgerrits​  as @kimo​ mentions, I don't think you have an alternative to Esri tools. But you could probably use arcpy as described here: Export XML Workspace Document

Badge +3

@Bo Guo​ I literally just posted the Solution to our GIS team on this yesterday!

You don't say what backend database is being used, but in SQL Server the Domain Codes vs Descriptions can be extracted with SQL like so:

SELECT items.Name AS "Domain", codedValue.value('Code[1]','nvarchar(max)') AS "Code", codedValue.value('Name[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') AS "Value"
  FROM dbo.[GDB_ITEMS] AS items INNER JOIN dbo.[GDB_ITEMTYPES] AS itemtypes 
  ON items.Type = itemtypes.UUID
  CROSS APPLY items.Definition.nodes
   ('/GPCodedValueDomain2/CodedValues/CodedValue') AS CodedValues(codedValue)
  WHERE itemtypes.Name = 'Coded Value Domain'

Note depending on implementation, it may be "dbo." as your ESRI GDB qualifer or something else, but it is pretty straightforward to find out by reviewing the table list inside the DB.

Oracle syntax is a little different for handling the XML, but there is a fair bit of literature posted by ESRI and users on how to do it in Oracle or SQL Server.

So the Solution is either:

• Get the DBA to CREATE VIEW ... AS SELECT ... and just consume that as a regular "Table" through a Reader
  • Put the above into an SQLExecutor or SQLCreator

Either way will return in into a normalised table format like this, being the complete list of all Domains, Codes and Values used in the Geodatabase

capture

Badge +2

@Bo Guo​ I literally just posted the Solution to our GIS team on this yesterday!

You don't say what backend database is being used, but in SQL Server the Domain Codes vs Descriptions can be extracted with SQL like so:

SELECT items.Name AS "Domain", codedValue.value('Code[1]','nvarchar(max)') AS "Code", codedValue.value('Name[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') AS "Value"
  FROM dbo.[GDB_ITEMS] AS items INNER JOIN dbo.[GDB_ITEMTYPES] AS itemtypes 
  CROSS APPLY items.Definition.nodes
   ('/GPCodedValueDomain2/CodedValues/CodedValue') AS CodedValues(codedValue)
  WHERE itemtypes.Name = 'Coded Value Domain'

Note depending on implementation, it may be "dbo." as your ESRI GDB qualifer or something else, but it is pretty straightforward to find out by reviewing the table list inside the DB.

Oracle syntax is a little different for handling the XML, but there is a fair bit of literature posted by ESRI and users on how to do it in Oracle or SQL Server.

So the Solution is either:

• Get the DBA to CREATE VIEW ... AS SELECT ... and just consume that as a regular "Table" through a Reader
  • Put the above into an SQLExecutor or SQLCreator

Either way will return in into a normalised table format like this, being the complete list of all Domains, Codes and Values used in the Geodatabase

capture

@bwn​ , This is perhaps the cleanest way and certainly most efficient way to extract the domains and their values for an entire GDB!  Since we also have the need to extract FeatureClass-Domain dependencies.  we wrote a simple SQL for that:

WITH domains AS (SELECT items.uuid AS domain_id, items.Name AS "Domain"
  FROM dbo.[GDB_ITEMS] AS items 
JOIN dbo.[GDB_ITEMTYPES] AS itemtypes 
  WHERE itemtypes.Name = 'Coded Value Domain'),
  fcs AS ( SELECT items.uuid AS fc_id, items.name AS Feature_class, DatasetInfo1 As geom_col
  WHERE itemtypes.Name = 'Feature Class')
SELECT Feature_Class, domain
FROM [dbo].[GDB_ITEMRELATIONSHIPS]
JOIN domains ON domain_id = DestID JOIN fcs ON fc_id = OriginID
ORDER BY Feature_class

Badge +3

@bwn​ , This is perhaps the cleanest way and certainly most efficient way to extract the domains and their values for an entire GDB!  Since we also have the need to extract FeatureClass-Domain dependencies.  we wrote a simple SQL for that:

fcs AS ( SELECT items.uuid AS fc_id, items.name AS Feature_class, DatasetInfo1 As geom_col
ORDER BY Feature_class

Yep, that is the next bit I had to tackle as well and half expected that might be the next comment/question! 😉   Getting the Domain list of Codes and Desriptions is one thing,  but the next painful thing is to otherwise have to manually map out which of those Domains goes to which Field.

I had similar SQL bashed up for that (borrowing heavily from the ESRI user forums) to get the Feature Class, Field Name, Domain Name as another table, although I haven't developed it in the case of where different Domains have been used on different SubTypes.

SELECT
    i.Name AS FeatureClass
    ,xVal.value('Name[1]','nvarchar(max)') Field
    ,xVal.value('DomainName[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') Domain
FROM dbo.GDB_ITEMS  i JOIN dbo.GDB_ITEMTYPES it ON i.Type = it.UUID
CROSS APPLY i.Definition.nodes('/*/GPFieldInfoExs/GPFieldInfoEx') dx(xVal)
WHERE i.NAME IS NOT NULL AND xVal.value('DomainName[1]', 'nvarchar(max)') IS NOT NULL

Badge +2

ORDER BY Feature_class

Well done, and very timely for my project! :) 

Badge +1

Any chance someone has the Oracle version handy?