OrientationExtractor doesn't identify shape's normals correctly

• 25 September 2017
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge

Hi all

FME Information

Edition: FME Database Edition

Version: FME(R) 2017.0.0.1 (20170316 - Build 17271 - WIN64)

I have a 3D buildings dataset in different formats .shp and .dgn. Buildings are built from individual shapes (walls, roof parts etc.) Normals are not consistent, some being LHR (left hand rule) and some RHR (right hand rule). Based on manual check I know which normals are LHR and which are RHR in a sample data (attached ).

I also have a version of data in .sqlite format where all normals are RHR.

I need to identify direction of each normal with FME, but OrientationExtractor doesn't provide consistent and correct results, comparing to the results of manual check. FME recognizes some LHR as RHR and opposite, fx, indicating that some of the shapes in .sqlite data are LHR.

I also tried using Orienter to ensure that all Shapes are oriented one way, and then using Orientation Extractor again, but it provides wrong results again.

Data -> OrientationExtractor (LHR, RHR) -> Orienter (all RHR) -> OrientationExtractor (again LHR, RHR)

Any ideas what could be wrong and what might be the problem with the data or/FME settings that I could look into.

Thank you!

1 reply

Badge +7

Thanks for posting your question @stysiakaleksand. I'm looking into the Orientor and OrientationExtractor with your data to see if I can get to the bottom of your issue. I'll report back here as soon as I have more information for you. Be sure to follow your question until then as I wouldn't be surprised if other FME puzzlers come up with something!