Solved

BulkAttributeRenamer bug with non-ascii attribute names

• 6 August 2019
  • 8 replies

Just upgraded to 2019.0.2.0 and the BulkAttributeRenamer shows some unexpected behaviour, when an attribute's name contains special characters (in my case German umlauts "äöü", but I assume any non-ascii trigger the problem). Problem did NOT occur in 2017.1.2.

The transformer's mode of operation (prefix, regex etc.) doesn't seem to matter: simply adding a prefix is enough to trigger the bug.

Minimal example to reproduce:

1. Create a feature with an attribute name, e.g. "ÄTTRIBUTE" = 1
  2. Add a prefix to it with BulkAttributeRenamer, e.g. "FOO_"
  3. Note you now have "FOO_ÄTTRIBUTE" as expected, but with an empty value (instead of =1) AND you still have "ÄTTRIBUTE" carrying the original value (only visible when inspecting all of the feature's attributes, i.e. click the row in inspector)

Can anyone else reproduce this?

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 14 August 2019, 19:50

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @schauri, yes I can reproduce the issue with Japanese characters. It's definitely a bug in FME 2019, and has not been resolved yet in the latest release version 2019.1.

I found the issue in FME 2019.0, but forgot if I have reported this to Safe support.

Please check this @danatsafe

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @takashi and @schauri, I've verified that the BulkAttributeRenamer worked in FME 2018 but not in FME 2019. Problem now reported as FMEENGINE-61150

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi @schauri, yes I can reproduce the issue with Japanese characters. It's definitely a bug in FME 2019, and has not been resolved yet in the latest release version 2019.1.

I found the issue in FME 2019.0, but forgot if I have reported this to Safe support.

Please check this @danatsafe

Hi @takashi and @schauri, I've verified that the BulkAttributeRenamer worked in FME 2018 but not in FME 2019. Problem now reported as FMEENGINE-61150

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @danatsafe, thanks for filing the problem.

Badge +2

Hi @takashi and @schauri,

A recent update to FME has resolved the issue with the BulkAttributeRenamer not correctly handling attributes containing special characters.

You will find the update in our latest FME 2019.2 beta b19752 available to download from safe.com/beta.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

A recent update to FME has resolved the issue with the BulkAttributeRenamer not correctly handling attributes containing special characters.

You will find the update in our latest FME 2019.2 beta b19752 available to download from safe.com/beta.

Thanks for the fix and your notification!

Thanks! Can't test the betas, but I'll trust it will be fixed once we the next stable!

Hi all,

Just to share I also add this issue, where some (but not all) values of an attribut are emptied after being processed by the BulkAttributeRenamer (using FME Desktop 2019.1 .0.0 Build 19608). Here is my use case : bugbulkattributerenamer.fmwt

In this workspace I'm trying to prefix all attributes with "__correction__", the issue occures with the attribute called "LocalitéFR". Since upgrading to a new FME version is not an option at the moment, I had to solves this with a PythonCaller (which is not ideal since I have to re-expose all my attributes) ...