Question

Create group in dwg file

• 1 September 2016
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +11

Hi CAD Experts!

Is it possible to create groups on features that are written by ACAD Writer? I'm investigating capabilies of FME in this field.

Find attached two files that indicate what I'm trying to archive. File demodata-layer.dwg shows the initial situation. I'd like to combine all lines of one building into one group. File demodata-group.dwg presents the desired result. The groups were formed interactively in AutoCAD to show the principle feasability.

Within my wokspace I'm having all needed attributes to form groups upon them, so it's really a question of implemented functionality of AutoCAD Writer.

5 replies

Badge +16

acad2acad.fmwHi @whkarto,

I was able to reproduce your demo data group dwg by applying it as a template file to the dwg writer,

FME will use the template file to reproduce the groups, just make sure that you are setting the writer parameter attribute output to extended entity data to reproduce the entity data on the resulting group.

Hope this helps4519-demodata-group-test.dwg

Badge +11

acad2acad.fmwHi @whkarto,

I was able to reproduce your demo data group dwg by applying it as a template file to the dwg writer,

FME will use the template file to reproduce the groups, just make sure that you are setting the writer parameter attribute output to extended entity data to reproduce the entity data on the resulting group.

Hope this helps4519-demodata-group-test.dwg

Thanks for your reply but that doesn't solve my problem. The groups to be created are typically unknown at the starting of the workspace, so I can't build any template dwg file in advance. All groups are formed dynamically during runtime.

Badge +16
Thanks for your reply but that doesn't solve my problem. The groups to be created are typically unknown at the starting of the workspace, so I can't build any template dwg file in advance. All groups are formed dynamically during runtime.

Then this is probably something you will need to ask support about.

Badge +2

Hi,

As far as I know, groups are available for reading but not writing. Kindly refer the link below...

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/acad/Group.htm

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, if you contact the support team, quote reference PR#34134 which I think is an existing enhancement request for what you are asking for.