Question

Location shifted after re-projection

I have 2 shape files: firesmart and forest area. I want to clip firesmart according to forest area. The workspace fmw script do the clip and generate shape file and SDE feature class. The generated shape file are in the correct location, however, SDE feature class has shifted to a different location. What's the reason and how to solve it?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Not sure if it'll be the solution, but worth a try: if you use EsriReprojectors instead of Reprojectors it'll use the ESRI projection libraries.

No luck, I try to use Esrireprojector to project both layer to WGS84, then in the end project firesmart to use forest area projection, shape file are still good but firesmart in SDE still has a big shift, same as before.

firesmart_crop_by_forest_area.fmw

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

No luck, I try to use Esrireprojector to project both layer to WGS84, then in the end project firesmart to use forest area projection, shape file are still good but firesmart in SDE still has a big shift, same as before.

firesmart_crop_by_forest_area.fmw

Okay, so that definitely was not the way to go. I wasn't aware of the fact the EsriReprojector doesn't have a "read from source" option for the coordinate system.

Out of curiousity, when you go back to your first workspace and redirect all output to the Data Inspector, does it line up ok then? What if you write to shape/SDE and then look at the data using the Data Inspector?

Not sure if it'll be the solution, but worth a try: if you use EsriReprojectors instead of Reprojectors it'll use the ESRI projection libraries.

Inspector show shape file layer and ArcSDE layer in the same place. However, ArcMap show ArcSDE layer in different place. Unfortunately, we highly depends on ArcMap so this problem need to be solved.

Thanks,

Chris Zhang

Badge +6

Hello @zhangchuangxin

Can you ensure that your ArcSDE Feature Class is being dropped prior to writing to the feature class?

Testing your workspace, I do not see a shift when looking at the SDE Feature Class along with the output Shapefile in ArcMap.

I used FME 2019.0, and checked in ArcMap 10.6.1 and saw no shift in the data.

Hello @zhangchuangxin

Can you ensure that your ArcSDE Feature Class is being dropped prior to writing to the feature class?

Testing your workspace, I do not see a shift when looking at the SDE Feature Class along with the output Shapefile in ArcMap.

Thank you, I removed feature class and also tried using different feature class name with no luck.

As I mentioned before the output shape file is good, no shift, the output feature class has problem.

I used FME 2018 64 bits and ArcGIS 10.3.1 at the beginning. After I see you post I use FME 2019 32 bits and ArcGIS 10.6, the results are same, looks like it is not a software version problem.

Badge

Thank you, I removed feature class and also tried using different feature class name with no luck.

As I mentioned before the output shape file is good, no shift, the output feature class has problem.

I used FME 2018 64 bits and ArcGIS 10.3.1 at the beginning. After I see you post I use FME 2019 32 bits and ArcGIS 10.6, the results are same, looks like it is not a software version problem.

Hi I did a try as well but was not able to reproduce Your problem. What happens if You import (ArcGIS tools) the resulting Shapefile to Your SDE-geodatabase and compare the imported result with the featureclass You write directly from FME?

Hello @zhangchuangxin

Shape file is OK, SDE feature class directly exported from shape file or using FME to export is also OK, Shape file and SDE feature class both display at the correct place. After I crop firesmart layer with forest area feature I get a new feature class and the new feature class shifted to different place.

Badge

Shape file is OK, SDE feature class directly exported from shape file or using FME to export is also OK, Shape file and SDE feature class both display at the correct place. After I crop firesmart layer with forest area feature I get a new feature class and the new feature class shifted to different place.

And the size of the shift is approximately how big?