Solved

Coordinate settings when translating Smallworld to Microstation V8i

• 24 October 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

When I am translating Smallworld 4.2 using a seed file that has a coordinate system set the file that is created does not have a coordinate system set. If I create a file from within Microstation using the same seed file the new file does have the coordinate system set. I verified that during the translation using FME the correct Seed file is being used. I then created a translation of a V8i Microstation file translating to another V8i Microstation file using the same Seed File and the coordinate system is unset in the created file.

Am I missing some kind of setting? or is there a know problem with Coordinate systems and Microstation files?

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 24 October 2017, 20:21

View original

5 replies

Badge +10

Hi @robyn_studts,

Unfortunately, FME cannot read/write coordinate system information from/to a Microstation DGN file at the moment. We do have an outstanding enhancement request to add this capability (PR37826). I will post an update here when this capability is available in a beta release.

- Andrea

Badge

Hi @robyn_studts,

Unfortunately, FME cannot read/write coordinate system information from/to a Microstation DGN file at the moment. We do have an outstanding enhancement request to add this capability (PR37826). I will post an update here when this capability is available in a beta release.

- Andrea

I am not trying to read or right any particular coordinate system. I guess my question is why when a DGN is created using FME the DGN does not keep the coordinate system associated with the Seed file that is used to create it.. Why does it change?

Thanks

Robyn

Badge +10
I am not trying to read or right any particular coordinate system. I guess my question is why when a DGN is created using FME the DGN does not keep the coordinate system associated with the Seed file that is used to create it.. Why does it change?

Thanks

Robyn

Currently, seed files are loaded, modified and written as the DGN V8 destination dataset, and unfortunately the coordinate system in the seed file is not preserved in this process.

There is an existing idea that seems related to the problem, you could comment on and up vote if you would like to see this functionality added. https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/27401/retaining-the-data-present-in-seed-file-while-writ.html

You could also post a new idea if that idea does not match your problem.The more votes your idea gets, the more likely it will be completed. Thank you for making FME even better!

Userlevel 2
Badge +19

Hi @robyn_studts,

- Andrea

Hi, @andreaatsafe​ 

Has that enhancement been implemented? I have the same problem as the original poster with FME 2021 . But maybe I'm just missing something.

Badge +10

Hi, @andreaatsafe​ 

Has that enhancement been implemented? I have the same problem as the original poster with FME 2021 . But maybe I'm just missing something.

Hi @oscard​ ,

The idea is still gathering interest. I'd recommend upvoting and adding your use case to the idea.

-Andrea