Question

XYZ to Sphere + Add Data

Badge

Hi,

Looking to create a 3d sphere from the XYZ coordinates in the attached CSV and then add the "Filename" property to each sphere. Can someone help?

Ive tried the Hub3DBufferer, but I cant get the geometry created. Happy with an AutoCAD or similar output.

CSV file attached if anyone can help me

13 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

The bufferer will allow you to create a solid 'sphere' (or an approximation of one) from a point

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @fordy,

Adding onto egomm's answer, these are the parameters that I used to get to get 3D spheres from your points.

I also noticed that you already have an attribute on each feature with _filename but if you're looking to add the CSV's filename, then you can expose fme_basename, and that will add the csv name (27107-xyz) to each feature. You can also concatenate a file name extension if you want to using a StringConcantenator.

If you are writing to a CAD format, try using the Real DWG writer for 3D handling (more info from this article on choosing autocad formats). Here's what it looked like in autocad for me:

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I believe that you can use either the Bufferer (FME 2018+, Buffer Type: Solid) or the 3DBuffere from FME Hub to create spherical solid from 3D points. Try using a VertexCreator to create 3D points from (X, Y, Z) coordinates then applying the Bufferer.

Badge

Thankyou @egomm and @jovitaatsafe it worked very well.

That said, its quite slow. Generating 607 spheres and it took 46 minutes. Is that normal and more importantly, is there anything we can do to reduce the time taken to produce?

Thanks

Chris.

Workspace below (with adding the attributes)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

That said, its quite slow. Generating 607 spheres and it took 46 minutes. Is that normal and more importantly, is there anything we can do to reduce the time taken to produce?

Thanks

Chris.

Try this.

Create just a single sphere (center point = (0, 0, 0)) with Creator + Bufferer, merge it to every feature unconditionally with the FeatureMerger (Feature Merge Type: Geometry), then offset it by (x, y, z) with the Offsetter.

Badge

Thanks

Chris.

Thanks @takashi I nearly have it, but slightly confused about the feature merger unconditional join, can you help?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Thanks

Chris.

You can set an identical constant value (e.g. 1) to the Join On parameter for both Requestor and Supplier, in order to merge a single supplier to every requestor.

Badge

You can set an identical constant value (e.g. 1) to the Join On parameter for both Requestor and Supplier, in order to merge a single supplier to every requestor.

Thanks @takashi it worked, but it seems to be as slow to create the 607 spheres.

Is this something I have to just accept?

Badge

Thanks @takashi it worked, but it seems to be as slow to create the 607 spheres.

Is this something I have to just accept?

I am scaling up to coordinates by 1000. Does this have anything to do with it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

I am scaling up to coordinates by 1000. Does this have anything to do with it?

What settings are you using in the 3dbufferer? Using your sample csv I can create 607 spheres in less than 10 seconds

Badge

What settings are you using in the 3dbufferer? Using your sample csv I can create 607 spheres in less than 10 seconds

Hi @egomm. here are the settings.

Badge

@egomm I think its the RealDWGwriter. When I change to an inspector, it completed in less than 30 seconds

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @egomm. here are the settings.

Hi @fordy, would you be able to share your parameters in the 3DBufferer again? It would also be great if you could attach your full logfile as a textfile attachment to get a look at what might be happening to make the translation slow for you. Thanks!