Question

Trouble opening old MapInfo files

Hi,

I have some old mapinfo files from approximately 1996. The log says it "Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'MITAB' from 1 datasets". The files should be OK in that they were taken directly from a CD product. The CD did require registration, but the statistics agency no longer sells the CD or issues any registration numbers, so I can't access the data through the MBX on the CD as intended by the product.

Does anyone know how I can see the data? I don't need any geography, I just need the data tables.

I've attached some of the files.

Thank you for any assistance!

23 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @mjlimbo

Thanks your data. I did download the zip file and tried to open in my FME Desktop 2018, but withou sucess.

How you wrote about this version, is old and I believe didn't have dll to open it.

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @mjlimbo

Thanks your data. I did download the zip file and tried to open in my FME Desktop 2018, but withou sucess.

How you wrote about this version, is old and I believe didn't have dll to open it.

Thanks,

Danilo

Thanks, @danilo_fme,

There are a bunch of dll files on the CD. Is there a way to open it using them? I can attach if that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mark

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Thanks, @danilo_fme,

There are a bunch of dll files on the CD. Is there a way to open it using them? I can attach if that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Mark

Hi,

I can try to do this. Please, attach them.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks

Thanks Danilo,

I've just left the office for the weekend, but I'll post them when I'm back in Monday.

cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Thanks Danilo,

I've just left the office for the weekend, but I'll post them when I'm back in Monday.

cheers!

Excellent. Good Weekend

Userlevel 3
Badge +17

Hi @mjlimbo

In addition to Danilo's suggestion, you could try changing the Character Encoding parameter of the Mitab reader. For example, using Latin-1 Western European (iso-8859-1) as the character encoding, the following is shown in Data Inspector:

Hi @mjlimbo

In addition to Danilo's suggestion, you could try changing the Character Encoding parameter of the Mitab reader. For example, using Latin-1 Western European (iso-8859-1) as the character encoding, the following is shown in Data Inspector:

Mmmmmmmuaaahhhhh! That's the sound of me giving you a great big kiss on the cheek!

This looks like exactly what I need from the tables! I'll give this a try when I'm back in the office, but I think this is it!!

Thank you so much!

Hi @mjlimbo

Hi @DebbiAtSafe,

I just got in the office today and tried this and I can't open the data. Using Data Inspector, I attempted to open the file using the MITAB format, and setting the parameters to have the encoding you suggested.

I get the error listed below. Could you please step me through how you managed to view the data?

Many thanks,

Mark

"Opening dataset C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB (MITAB)...

'MITAB' reader was created successfully

Creating reader for format: MapInfo TAB (MITAB)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `MITAB'

FME API version of module 'MITAB' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)

The dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' was opened successfully

Using MapInfo (MITAB) Native Reader to open dataset `C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\'

Set encoding 'iso-8859-1' from user input

Failed to open native MapInfo file `C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\\\CD_B03_A.tab'

C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\\\CD_B03_A.tab could not be opened as a MapInfo dataset.

Failed to open native MapInfo file

Failed to read features from dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' using the 'MITAB' reader

'MITAB' reader returned 0 data features for dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB'

Removing dataset 'CD_B03_A [MITAB]' from View 1

Closing native MapInfo reader

The dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' was closed successfully

The 'MITAB' reader was destroyed successfully"

Hi,

Thanks

Hi @danilo_fme,

Please find the dlls I could find attached. Debbie seems to have solved it above though, although I have yet to be able to replicate this on my machine.

Many thanks!

dlls.zip

Userlevel 3
Badge +17
Hi @DebbiAtSafe,

I just got in the office today and tried this and I can't open the data. Using Data Inspector, I attempted to open the file using the MITAB format, and setting the parameters to have the encoding you suggested.

I get the error listed below. Could you please step me through how you managed to view the data?

Many thanks,

Mark

"Opening dataset C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB (MITAB)...

'MITAB' reader was created successfully

Creating reader for format: MapInfo TAB (MITAB)

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `MITAB'

FME API version of module 'MITAB' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)

The dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' was opened successfully

Using MapInfo (MITAB) Native Reader to open dataset `C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\'

Set encoding 'iso-8859-1' from user input

Failed to open native MapInfo file `C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\\\CD_B03_A.tab'

C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\\\CD_B03_A.tab could not be opened as a MapInfo dataset.

Failed to open native MapInfo file

Failed to read features from dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' using the 'MITAB' reader

'MITAB' reader returned 0 data features for dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB'

Removing dataset 'CD_B03_A [MITAB]' from View 1

Closing native MapInfo reader

The dataset 'C:\\Research\\GIS\\Census Data\\Census 1996\\CDATA96\\Disc1\\BDY\\CD\\BCP\\QLD\\CD_B03_A.TAB' was closed successfully

The 'MITAB' reader was destroyed successfully"

Hi @mjlimbo

I was not able to read from the dataset the first few times I tried. I had to change the character encoding parameter several times before the reader was able to successfully read the file.

I've also attached a workspace (created with FME 2018.1.0.1 b18528) which reads the file you uploaded.

mitab2inspector.fmw
Hi @mjlimbo

I was not able to read from the dataset the first few times I tried. I had to change the character encoding parameter several times before the reader was able to successfully read the file.

I've also attached a workspace (created with FME 2018.1.0.1 b18528) which reads the file you uploaded.

mitab2inspector.fmw
Hi @DebbiAtSafe

This is the first time I've ever used FME so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I opened the workspace and edited the path to point to the file location. When I run it it mentions something about an invalid search envelope (although that option isn't selected in the parameters) (error log posted below).

When you say you changed the encoding several times, do you mean to random different encoding until it worked? Or re-running the same settings? Seems strange that it would change. Could you please try the new file attached and see if it works?

censusdatasample2.zip

All I need to do here is convert this file to CSV.

Thank for your help!

Error log from workspace:

"Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

FME Session Duration: 0.8 seconds. (CPU: 0.3s user, 0.3s system)

END - ProcessID: 6952, peak process memory usage: 43884 kB, current process memory usage: 43884 kB

Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED. "censusdatasample2.zip (389.3 kB)

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @mjlimbo

Attached the Workspace that generate your source data in CSV.

The suggestion from @DebbiAtSafe was perfect for you case.

Thanks - workspace-mapinfo-to-csv.fmw

Danilo

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @DebbiAtSafe

This is the first time I've ever used FME so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I opened the workspace and edited the path to point to the file location. When I run it it mentions something about an invalid search envelope (although that option isn't selected in the parameters) (error log posted below).

When you say you changed the encoding several times, do you mean to random different encoding until it worked? Or re-running the same settings? Seems strange that it would change. Could you please try the new file attached and see if it works?

censusdatasample2.zip

All I need to do here is convert this file to CSV.

Thank for your help!

Error log from workspace:

"Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

FME Session Duration: 0.8 seconds. (CPU: 0.3s user, 0.3s system)

END - ProcessID: 6952, peak process memory usage: 43884 kB, current process memory usage: 43884 kB

Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED. "censusdatasample2.zip (389.3 kB)

Hi @mjlimbo

Danilo

Hi @mjlimbo

Danilo

Thank you for your assistance @danilo_fme and @DebbiAtSafe

I don't know what's going on, but that workspace doesn't work for me either. The only change I've made is to edit the parameters on the reader to point to the correct path for the same data. The reader just doesn't like this data. I've attached a text file with the output.

Could you please please upload the output CSV file from this conversion? I'm interested to see if your process is working correctly, and this is the main data I need.

I'm also keen to get to the bottom of this so I can do it myself. Any ideas on why it works on your machine and on Debbie's but not on mine? The log continues to reference a search envelope, but I have not made any changes to that at all.

Thank you!

fme-census-log.txt

Userlevel 3
Badge +17
Hi @DebbiAtSafe

This is the first time I've ever used FME so I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I opened the workspace and edited the path to point to the file location. When I run it it mentions something about an invalid search envelope (although that option isn't selected in the parameters) (error log posted below). 

When you say you changed the encoding several times, do you mean to random different encoding until it worked? Or re-running the same settings? Seems strange that it would change. Could you please try the new file attached and see if it works? 

censusdatasample2.zip

All I need to do here is convert this file to CSV. 

Thank for your help! 

Error log from workspace: 

"Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

FME Session Duration: 0.8 seconds. (CPU: 0.3s user, 0.3s system)

END - ProcessID: 6952, peak process memory usage: 43884 kB, current process memory usage: 43884 kB

Invalid search envelope specified: MITAB_1_SEARCH_ENVELOPE keyword must be followed by four numeric values (minX minY maxX maxY). Got '<Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused> <Unused>'

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED. "censusdatasample2.zip (389.3 kB)

Hi @mjlimbo

Not quite sure why you getting the search envelope error if you're not using the parameter. 

If you view the .TAB file with a text editor, you should be able to see the character encoding used. The .TAB file in censusdatasample2.zip has the following line 

Type NATIVE Charset "WindowsLatin1"
Can you please try adding a reader and changing the Character Encoding parameter again so it matches with the .TAB file?

Hi @mjlimbo

Not quite sure why you getting the search envelope error if you're not using the parameter. 

If you view the .TAB file with a text editor, you should be able to see the character encoding used. The .TAB file in censusdatasample2.zip has the following line 

Type NATIVE Charset "WindowsLatin1"
Can you please try adding a reader and changing the Character Encoding parameter again so it matches with the .TAB file?

Hi @DebbiAtSafe,

Thank you for you help!

I can't add any reader with this data so I'm really interested to know how you guys are doing it!  When trying to add a reader with this data I get error as attached. I've tried all the character Latin character encoding (and lots of others), including the "WindowsLatin1" encoding.

I only get the search envelope error when using the workspaces that you and @danilo_fme uploaded.  If I try to construct myself though, I can't even get that far as it never accepts the reader.

Any ideas? 

Cheers!

fme-census-reader-error-log.txt
Hi @mjlimbo

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme and @DebbiAtSafe

Just wondering if you have any ideas on this issue as I describe below? It's really frustrating that you can do this but I can't! I need this data for my research; I've tried many other software including MapInfo and I can't access it.

@danilo_fme - are you able to post the output CSV of the process you ran in your attached workspace? If all else fails, then I will at least have the data I need.

Many thanks!
Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @danilo_fme and @DebbiAtSafe

Just wondering if you have any ideas on this issue as I describe below? It's really frustrating that you can do this but I can't! I need this data for my research; I've tried many other software including MapInfo and I can't access it.

@danilo_fme - are you able to post the output CSV of the process you ran in your attached workspace? If all else fails, then I will at least have the data I need.

Many thanks!
Hi @mjlimbo

Yes. Attached the result.

Thanks, - file1.zip

Danilo

Hi @mjlimbo

Yes. Attached the result.

Thanks, - file1.zip

Danilo

Excellent! Thank you for this!! This looks very promising!

@danilo_fme I see you ran it on it the sample data I initially posted. The data I actually need for my research is the second batch that I sent through to you (and shown in the workspace posted above). Sorry about that, I should have made that clear. I've re-attached here: censusdatasample2.zip

Could you please do me the great favour of running this again on this attached data and uploading the output CSV? I would be massively appreciative! This way I can continue my research while trying to resolve this issue for the other data.

I have much more data to translate but glad to see it can be done. Where do you suggest I go from here to get support to get this working on my machine?

Thank you again
Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @mjlimbo

No problem about your request. I ran again the Workspace with the new Source data - Atttached here.

About the help with the FME in your machine, please send me email that We can do a Webmeeting and I can see your FME installed.

Email: danilo@solutial.com.br

Output - report-02.zip

Thanks,

Danilo

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Excellent! Thank you for this!! This looks very promising!

@danilo_fme I see you ran it on it the sample data I initially posted. The data I actually need for my research is the second batch that I sent through to you (and shown in the workspace posted above). Sorry about that, I should have made that clear. I've re-attached here: censusdatasample2.zip

Could you please do me the great favour of running this again on this attached data and uploading the output CSV? I would be massively appreciative! This way I can continue my research while trying to resolve this issue for the other data.

I have much more data to translate but glad to see it can be done. Where do you suggest I go from here to get support to get this working on my machine?

Thank you again
Hi @mjlimbo

No problem about your request. I ran again the Workspace with the new Source data - Atttached here.

About the help with the FME in your machine, please send me email that We can do a Webmeeting and I can see your FME installed.

Output - report-02.zip

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @mjlimbo

Output - report-02.zip

Thanks,

Danilo

Now it's your turn for a big kiss on the cheek @danilo_fme! Mmmmmmmuaaahhhhh!

Thank you!!!!

It took almost a month to get the CD with this data (it ended up being sent from a small town country library in rural Australia), and almost as long again to get the data I need off of it. Our statistics agency no longer releases older census data, and no library in Australia (although some have the CDs) can provide the data in a usable form, so believe it or not this is actually a big deal for anyone who studies long term demographic changes in Australia!

So thank you so much for your help and persistence!

Best email for a web meeting is in the attached text document.

All the best!

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Now it's your turn for a big kiss on the cheek @danilo_fme! Mmmmmmmuaaahhhhh!

Thank you!!!!

It took almost a month to get the CD with this data (it ended up being sent from a small town country library in rural Australia), and almost as long again to get the data I need off of it. Our statistics agency no longer releases older census data, and no library in Australia (although some have the CDs) can provide the data in a usable form, so believe it or not this is actually a big deal for anyone who studies long term demographic changes in Australia!

So thank you so much for your help and persistence!

Best email for a web meeting is in the attached text document.

All the best!

Hi @mjlimbo

I'm very happy to help you!