Solved

Remove first colinear point from polygon

• 31 August 2018
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +22
  • Contributor
  • 1961 replies

How do you remove a colinear point from a polygon when it is the first/last vertex?

When using the generalizer (Douglas) the wrong point is removed.

See attached workspace for an example of two similar polygons. The one where the colinear point is not the first/last vertex works as expected.

The one where the first/last point is colinear, keeps that point and removes an important vertex.

icon

Best answer by nampreetatsafe 4 September 2018, 22:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Chopping polygons into lines, evaluating the bearing, joining lines where the bearing is the same and rebuilding the area results in a polygon where the colinear point will no longer be the first or last vertex. I'm sure there must be a more elegant way

20923-colinear.fmw

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @jdh,

Thanks for your question!

I spoke to the team about the Generalizer and there seems to be a limitation where it doesn't handle start/end points of a polygon such as yours with a colinear start/end point. We posted an Idea, Generalizing Polygon Start/End Points, for any one who wants to up-vote this potential enhancement to the Generalizer. Please feel free to add more details about the scenario you're working on in this Ideas post.

Here are a couple of workarounds which I hope will work for you:

1. colinear-workaround-rotate.fmw: Rotating the polygon using a custom transformer
  2. colinear-workaround-combine.fmw: Similar approach to @egomm, but using the PolylineAnalyzer

I hope this helps!