Solved

Path windows not working from WorkspaceRunner

• 21 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

I'm sure this is an easy fix, but I have a workspace that is being run by WorkspaceRunner. A different shapefile is reading in from the runner each time using the Path Reader. When I run the WorkspaceRunner the child workspace is not running. I have used this setup before and it's worked perfectly. I can't figure out why it's not on this occasion. I've attached both workspaces. Thanks for any help.

B

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 21 June 2019, 17:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Make sure that you have set Path Filter parameter of the PATH reader appropriately. A Shapefile dataset consists of 3 or more files with the same name except extension, but you should only send *.shp file path to the Shapefile reader.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think there are a variety of possible issues. As Takashi says, you should only read the *.shp files with your PATH reader, otherwise the DBF, SHX, etc files will also be passed as valid source files. Also, I notice that you have two Shape readers and the prompt for both is "Source Esri Shapefiles" - can you make sure that you have these the right way around? One of them has a Feature Type filter set, but the other doesn't, so it's obviously important to get them correct!

However, neither of these would stop the workspace being run, so I don't know if it's the main issue.

Can you check the Task Manager to see if anything is actually being started and/or run?

It might also help if the source folder the PATH reader was reading from only contained one Shapefile. That way it'll be easier to see what is going on, and you should be able to find the log file from the child workspace and see if it ran and what happened.

If we know whether a helper process is started or not it will help to diagnose the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think there are a variety of possible issues. As Takashi says, you should only read the *.shp files with your PATH reader, otherwise the DBF, SHX, etc files will also be passed as valid source files. Also, I notice that you have two Shape readers and the prompt for both is "Source Esri Shapefiles" - can you make sure that you have these the right way around? One of them has a Feature Type filter set, but the other doesn't, so it's obviously important to get them correct!

However, neither of these would stop the workspace being run, so I don't know if it's the main issue.

Can you check the Task Manager to see if anything is actually being started and/or run?

It might also help if the source folder the PATH reader was reading from only contained one Shapefile. That way it'll be easier to see what is going on, and you should be able to find the log file from the child workspace and see if it ran and what happened.

If we know whether a helper process is started or not it will help to diagnose the issue.

Oh, also run the helper (child) workspace by itself. If it doesn't work then it's unlikely to work any better when called by a WorkspaceRunner. Just something extra to try out.

Badge +3

Hi @mark2atsafe / @takashi

Thanks for the help.

I read the log file and it said that it couldn't read the index Shapefiles (not the one coming from PATH reader). This appears to be because there are 3 of them (Shapefiles) and they're being read from one field in the WorkspaceRunner (they're contained in the same folder), I have disabled two of the Shapefiles and run the Workspace again and it has run successfully. Is this normal, do you need to separate each Shapefile into different fields in WorkspaceRunner?

Thanks

B

I have a similar issue on a workspace I created earlier this year and now it fails when I try it in FME 2019 (log says it cannot find any files). However, opening the workspace runner in FME 2018 and running it there, it works fine...

So clearly a bug in the newer version...

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I have a similar issue on a workspace I created earlier this year and now it fails when I try it in FME 2019 (log says it cannot find any files). However, opening the workspace runner in FME 2018 and running it there, it works fine...

So clearly a bug in the newer version...

Can you pass this on to our support team at safe.com/support please? If this is a bug then we'll want to get on top of it as quickly as we can.

Thanks.

Badge

Has this been solved yet? I have a workspace which seems to have the same issue. If I pass "path_windows" as a source dataset directly to the workspace runner, this is shown in the starting workspace's logfile as:

Command to run - `{"E:/GIS/FME_Workspace_Runner/tools/2_importer_workspace - Kopie.fmw"} --SourceDataset_ESRISHAPE {E:\\GIS\\FME_Workspace_Runner\\input\\shape_16.shp} --ftp_feature_type_name_exp shape_16'

The workspace which is being started logs:

Command line arguments are `C:\\Program Files\\FME\\fme.exe' `E:/GIS/FME_Workspace_Runner/tools/2_importer_workspace - Kopie.fmw' `--SourceDataset_ESRISHAPE' `E:\\GIS\\FME_Workspace_Runner\\input\\shape_16.shp' `--ftp_feature_type_name_exp' `shape_16' `--FME_LAUNCH_VIEWER_APP' `YES'

However, these parameters are ignored and the workspace simply runs with the standard values it was built with.

Am I missing something?

Badge

I have the same issues. None of my existing workspace runner workflows work now. 100% confident to say that it is a new bug!