Question

Translating from SHP to Oracle Spatial Object table results in bad geometries.

• 23 September 2019
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge

I am fairly new to FME and I am attempting some of my first translations from SHP files to Oracle Spatial Tables. Everything completes successfully apart from the following errors I get several times through the translation:

BADNEWS: An error occurred while fetching from query `SELECT table_name, column_name, DimInfo, SRID FROM USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA' : OCI_NO_DATA (ocistmt.cpp:663)

I get additional errors when publishing after writing the features to the DB:

118904) Invalid geometry for component view V_STREETCTR_LN, FID 104594211, CID 1, and LTT_ID 0 - No geometry was produced, probably because of a mismatch of G3E_COMPONENT.G3E_GEOMETRYTYPE and the actual geometry, or because of an un-supported SDO_GType.

I have tried this across multiple features and run into the same problems each time.

Has anyone run into these issues translating from SHP to Oracle using FME?

Sample Workspace:

Log:

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

If I am not mistaken, the G3E table is a Hexagon GTech table (in Oracle spatial).

Those tables contain Oracle triggers to check the geometry type.

This seems to be a GTech constraint, rather than an Oracle Spatial error.

Hope this helps looking for a solution.

Badge

If I am not mistaken, the G3E table is a Hexagon GTech table (in Oracle spatial).

Those tables contain Oracle triggers to check the geometry type.

This seems to be a GTech constraint, rather than an Oracle Spatial error.

Hope this helps looking for a solution.

I am disabling all triggers on the tables in question prior to running the data in.

Userlevel 4

I haven't seen these particular errors, but the BADNEWS errors are FME debug messages and not necessarily anything to worry about. Unless you really need them I would consider deactivating them (personally I only very rarely look at them anyway).

If you are disabling the trigger before the import, does that not also mean that you're disabling necessary data constraints that may need to be enforced when publishing the data?

Also sounds like you may want to contact the vendor / developer of the solution that sits on top of your Oracle Spatial instance to see exactly what the problem could be.

From an FME point of view, I'd consider inserting a GeometyValidator before your writer, at least to check for OGC compliance.