Question

Create IfcOpeningElement in ifcWall

• 15 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I'm not very advanced in FME and ifc-Conversion. I would like to place an IfcOpeningElement in a IfcWall (and afterwards place a window or door in it). With the excercise "AutoCAD to IFC Conversion Example" I was able to create my walls and openings. But I'm not able connect the two elements. I guess I need to create an IfcRelVoidsElement. But how can I get the corresponding RelatingBuildingElement and RelatedOpeningElement? From the geometries I get the relationship. But how can I link these to correct EXPRESS-ID (eg #23)?

I will add a screenshot from my workbench and the (as txt-File) I get as result.

It would be great if someone can help me! Thank you very much in advanced!

Greetings from Switzerland

2 replies

Badge +1

I found the solution! I don't have to create the IfcRelVoidsElement by myself. FME is doing this for me when I create an ifc_opening_id to connect the IfcWindow with the IfcWall. Beside this is still need to connect IfcWindow with the IfcOpeningElement. This can be done by using the ifc_parent_id.

The explanation on the FME webpage "Industry Foundation Class STEP Files (IFC) Feature Representation" helped me a lot!

I found the solution! I don't have to create the IfcRelVoidsElement by myself. FME is doing this for me when I create an ifc_opening_id to connect the IfcWindow with the IfcWall. Beside this is still need to connect IfcWindow with the IfcOpeningElement. This can be done by using the ifc_parent_id.

The explanation on the FME webpage "Industry Foundation Class STEP Files (IFC) Feature Representation" helped me a lot!

Hi Dominik,

I know you posted this some time ago, but I will try anyways...

I am having the same issue right now, converting dwg to ifc files. I have not yet succeded in connecting doors, openingelements and the wall in the correct way. could you maybe help me out with this?

Which of the elements (wall, openingelement, door) needs the "ifc_opening_id" to be added to and which value needs to be added? It would be supercool, if you could help me our here!

You can contact me also by mail: j.loes at] viennaairport.com

Thx and greetings from Vienna,

Morten