Question

FME Server remembers last parameters when running jobs?

Badge +2

Hi, I have this terrible simple workspace, of only a creator, a parameter fetcher and a logger. Next to it a floating number parameter. When I post it to one FME Server site, it runs (JobSubmitter) fine and when I run it again, it remembers the value I entered before. When I post it to another site, it still runs fine, however, it doesn't remember the last value I entered for the parameter. What is wrong with the second setup? I suspect it has something to do with the rights of a user in the folder for the jobsubmitter service. Or it has something to do with cookies, or a secure http and Active Directory setup. How to keep the nice behaviour remembering the last values supplied?

5 replies

Userlevel 4

I think it's your browser session that remembers the form data, probably through a cookie, but maybe someone from Safe can give us the technical lowdown.

I don't think there's an easy mechanism to remember the default parameter value between browser sessions and servers.

If you feel adventurous, you could try writing a workspace that modifes its own .fmw file to inject the last used parameter value as the new default, but you'd have to be careful not mangling the fmw completely.

Badge +11

As far as I know, @david_r is correct in his explanation. The web form for workspaces in the FME Server Web Interface uses Cookies (with combination of User Account) to save the most recently entered parameters.

I wonder if using a custom web form - for example, borrowing code from the Easy Translator Demo on the FME Server Playground, could be a viable workaround for you? I'm sorry that this feature is causing you pain!

> maybe someone from Safe can give us the technical lowdown.

Unfortunately I do not have the expertise to give the technical lowdown!
Badge +2
Thanks,@RylanAtSafe, @david_r, I think this will give us a bit of a direction for a solution. May be the secure second setup does not accept cookies or so.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I think a way to discover what is happening is to use FME Workbench and download the workspace from the Server. If the settings have been set in the workspace then you will see them. If they are only set in the web browser then the values should not exist in Workbench.

Does that make sense? It should give us an answer whether it's in the workspace or just the browser.

Badge +2

Hi @Mark2AtSafe, I will look into this.