Question

Grid Transformation

I have a grid that I want to label by quartered section. the picture in blue is how they appear in arcmap. picture in black is the requested way. I am trying to use FME to transform the grids labels but I need to open the final product in arc. My real question is, which transformers would help with this outcome?

4 replies

Badge +2

@takyrasmith A Dissolver with Group By set to the Quarter Section value (123) should do the trick, followed by LabelPointReplacer. If you don't have an attribute for the quarter section then use AttirbuteCreator with a regex to create the quarter section value.

I've attached an example workspace (2019): Grid Label.fmw

I recommend using FME 2019.0 or higher if you can as Dissolver will be faster.

thank you for your response, with this example how can i get my GDB to input my data? I cant connect the reader to the creator it seems like. Im stuck trying to get the grid information in as a reader and not the writer; although I need them for both.

or are the creators my "new" readers? @markatsafe

Badge +2

or are the creators my "new" readers? @markatsafe

@takyrasmith I would definitely recommend that you take FME training if you can, as this would answer this type of questions and allow you to move forward with your work flow. There is a half day Introduction to FME Desktop (Workbench) on Thursday. This is a free, instructor lead training class where you would run through some exercises with the instructor.

In my example, the Creator transformers are just there to create some sample data. In your workflow you would remove these transformers and connect the Geodatabase feature type to the Dissolver.

You probably only need one LablePointReplacer