Question

FME Workbench 2018 crashing after publishing 2 or more to FME Server

Badge

I'm having a recurring issue where FME Workbench 2018 crashes after 2nd or 3rd attempt to publish to FME Server. I have a whole bunch of workspaces that needed mods and subsequently uploaded to FME Server, but workbench crashes after 2nd or 3rd upload consistently. I also observed that it doesn't matter if it's a new publish or a re-publish, it still causes workbench to crash.

If you look at the log in the screenshot it reports that it published successfully, but generally I don't trust it so will re-upload the crashed one just in case the workspace on the server got corrupted.

Normally this is not a biggie if doing solitary workspaces, but when you have to upload a couple dozen then it becomes a bit of a pain. I'ts been happening for us on various PCs and as far back as FME 2015 (from memory).

Would love to know if others are getting this and a possible solution?

Thanks!

4 replies

Badge +9

Hi @peterz, I'm sorry to hear this is happening for you. That would be pretty frustrating when publishing lots of workspaces!

We've had a couple of other reports of this happening for others too, but have been having some trouble replicating the issue reliably here. Just to help us in narrowing down what set of circumstances might be causing this, what kinds of modifications are you making to the workspaces before you publish them and see the crash? Also, what OS and version are you running on the machine(s) where you see this?

Badge

Hi @peterz, I'm sorry to hear this is happening for you. That would be pretty frustrating when publishing lots of workspaces!

We've had a couple of other reports of this happening for others too, but have been having some trouble replicating the issue reliably here. Just to help us in narrowing down what set of circumstances might be causing this, what kinds of modifications are you making to the workspaces before you publish them and see the crash? Also, what OS and version are you running on the machine(s) where you see this?

Hi Laura, to answer your questions:

1. What kind of modifications before publishing?

The crash can happen simply by opening up a workspace and uploading to FME Server without doing any mods to the workspace itself.

2. What OS?

We predominantly have Win7 Enterprise (x64) SP1 with a floating licence of FME Workbench. Some have Intel i5 with 4GB RAM, some have Intel i7 with 8GB RAM. In addition to that, we also have a node-locked licence on a Win Server 2016 (x64) with Intel Xeon with 32GB RAM.

FME Workbench consistently crashes in all of these environments, the only commonality that I can see is that it happens after publishing 2 or 3 times to FME Server.
Badge

Hi Laura, some additional info to help your team hunt this down.

Today I had Workbench 2018 crash on me simply by bringing up the "Download from FME Server" dialog. All I did is click on the dropdown for "Connection" (without getting a chance to selecting anything) and that was enough to cause a crash. Screenshot below...

Badge +9
Hi Laura, some additional info to help your team hunt this down.

Today I had Workbench 2018 crash on me simply by bringing up the "Download from FME Server" dialog. All I did is click on the dropdown for "Connection" (without getting a chance to selecting anything) and that was enough to cause a crash. Screenshot below...

Thanks @peterz ! This is useful information! I'll add this to our internal problem report tracking this and we'll update this page as we make progress in fixing this issue.