Solved

Area on Area overlay not working as expected

Badge +10

I looking to calculate the intersected area between polygons

I used the Areaonareaoverlay transformer but I am getting one of the feature removed and replaced by another one,

icon

Best answer by takashi 8 June 2018, 22:07

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Each resulting area from the AreaOnAreaOverlayer preserves attributes from one of overlapped original areas, may not always preserve attributes from the original area that matches the resulting area. For example, the right-most area in the result has attributes from one of four source areas, may not have attributes from the original right-most area.

Badge +10

any suggestion how could calculate the overlapping area and preserve the original attributes?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

any suggestion how could calculate the overlapping area and preserve the original attributes?

You can use the AreaCalculator (or the @Area function) to calculate the overlapping area after the AreaOnAreaOverlayer.

How do you define "original" area from which you need to preserve attributes if the resulting area has been generated from two or more overlapping areas? For example, the second right area has been generated from three overlapping areas. Which one of three is the "original" area?

Badge +10

@takashi

Any sugestiion on how we could claculate the overlaping area and keep the same attibutes

Badge +10

@takashi

@takashihow about to calculate the area by subtracting the previous one ( overlaparea=arae of layerid 1509 - area of layer id 1510..etc ) the problem is how we apply that
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@takashi

Any sugestiion on how we could claculate the overlaping area and keep the same attibutes

See my comment to your previous post.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

It's necessary to clarify the criteria regarding how to select an original polygon whose attributes should be preserved when the resulting area has been generated from two or more overlapping original polygons. For example, if you want to preserve attributes of the smallest one among overlapping original polygons, this workflow would be a possible way. Different criteria requires different solution.

Badge +10
It's necessary to clarify the criteria regarding how to select an original polygon whose attributes should be preserved when the resulting area has been generated from two or more overlapping original polygons. For example, if you want to preserve attributes of the smallest one among overlapping original polygons, this workflow would be a possible way. Different criteria requires different solution.

@takashi

I did follow the workspace suggested but I am getting a weird geometry I did

I use the Projected coordinate in order to have an accurate area calculation

Alos attached the workspace, in this, we Know the layer ID 1509 has always the smallest area

Thanks in advance

areaonareaoverlay-ouput.png

areaon-area-overlay.fmwt

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
@takashi

I did follow the workspace suggested but I am getting a weird geometry I did

I use the Projected coordinate in order to have an accurate area calculation

Alos attached the workspace, in this, we Know the layer ID 1509 has always the smallest area

Thanks in advance

areaonareaoverlay-ouput.png

areaon-area-overlay.fmwt

Possibly the Tolerance parameter in the AreaOnAreaOverlayer could be leveraged to resolve the tiny gap between overlapping boundaries, if such a gap was the issue.