Question

Family data is lost in ArcGIS

• 18 August 2017
  • 1 reply

I am working on a BIM/GIS project where I need to convert revit models into GIS. I used the FME exporter and chose the 2*3 coordinate view to export to ifc file, then in ArcScene, I use quick import to convert ifc to multipatch. As a result I get the model sorted in revit family, such as wall, column, slab, etc in multipatch form. The 3D model turn to be fine, but there are extra tables attached to each family and I found much of the data in there was lost. I wonder if this is the problem with exporting ifc in revit. (I have pics below to specify)

As you can see here in Arcscene, lots of data in the family is lost. For example in the door lining properties, there are null values.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @pjpjpjpangjian,

IFC files have a complex hierarchical geometry structure, which stores the information from the property tables within the feature geometry. This structure does not convert simply to ArcGIS Geodatabase.

The FME Revit reader will also read IFC files, and its Building Elements with Hierarchy Data View will automatically simplify the complex IFC structure into one suitable for writing to GIS. It also extracts the property table information into feature attributes.

Please run the Quick Import using the Revit reader to get the best results from your IFC file.