Solved

3D View from CAD to .svg

• 2 March 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Good day, I am just looking if someone can point me in the right direction.

Goal

Ifc/Cad File to .svg

The goal is to create .svg for PowerBi. By taking a view from a 3d File and saving the view to turn into a .svg file. Below a few screenshots how I have done it before.

A .svg is imported into powerbi.

When clicking the .svg graphic in PowerBi, the PowerBi table changes to filter only that Column

In this example the .svg has the following ID:

<polygon id="M1" description="M1"

If this ID is found in the PowerBi Data, the column for "M1" is called. ( I have added an example of such an .svg file that I work with: SvgPowerBiExample.txt(saved as .txt file)

FME Question

Is it possible to save a "view" of an .ifc file or Cad file such as .dwg in 3d? Then Vectorize that View and save the internal surfaces as the polygon id needed for an .svg file.

For Example, a view in FME that I would like to save as .svg file:

My current Workflow

The workflow is to take a 3d Model, flatten it as a 2d Vector line model (In Rhino called Make2d). Create polygon surfaces / meshes and write them to different layers in Rhino. With the Grasshopper plugin, I would then create a .svg which saves the surfaces with the Layernames from Rhino.

I am trying to improve the efficiency of this workflow as it takes a few hours to do.

I hope my question is clear, and I am just looking for interesting approaches for how to do this or perhaps if there is anyone else who have managed to get this done with FME.

Regards

Fred

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 2 March 2020, 18:14

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @freddy17,

The SurfaceFootprintReplacer transformer can be used to convert the IFC or CAD solid and surface geometries to a 2D footprint polygon, while retaining all the original attributes of the feature.

The IFC with Data Views reader will do this for you automatically, if you choose the Floorplan data view.

Badge +1

Hi Dave,

great I will give it a go. Is it at all possible to save the view settings that is used in the FME inspector?

Regards

Fred

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi Dave,

great I will give it a go. Is it at all possible to save the view settings that is used in the FME inspector?

Regards

Fred

I'm sorry, but no. The Data Inspector is a very lightweight viewer, meant only to give you a visual snapshot of the data as seen by FME.