Question

"Error running translation" after what appears to be a successful write to an ArcSDE feature class.

• 20 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

There are a plethora of discussions on the "Error running translation" error, but none seem relevant to my simple workflow, as shown in the attached image, that writes a simple point geometry to an ArcSDE layer. The error msg was misleading as the point had been successfully written.

I turned on the debug log and found a "BADNEWS" error in the log - - which I was not sure of its relevancy.

4 replies

Badge +7

Hi @bo, thanks for your post!

This was a common issue earlier in the year, but since you are running FME 64-bit, with ESRI background geoprocessing, on Windows 7, you might be a candidate for this issue and the associated patches from ESRI which fix the issue.

One quick litmus test for the above would be to test your workspace using FME 32-bit. If it runs successfully, there's a really good chance you need the patch linked above.

Hope this helps! Let us know if it doesn't :))

Nathan

Badge +2

Hi @bo, thanks for your post!

This was a common issue earlier in the year, but since you are running FME 64-bit, with ESRI background geoprocessing, on Windows 7, you might be a candidate for this issue and the associated patches from ESRI which fix the issue.

One quick litmus test for the above would be to test your workspace using FME 32-bit. If it runs successfully, there's a really good chance you need the patch linked above.

Hope this helps! Let us know if it doesn't :))

Nathan

Thanks, @nathanatsafe! We will look into this and confirm.

Badge +1

Hi @bo,

I am having the same issue here.

Writing in the versioned table is complete, but on the end of the log I get this strange message "Error running translation". Issue is that in the process which I am using, workbench is called from .bat file and the call returns code -2146234327 and not 0 as expected.

I am using 32-bit FME 2018.0.

Did you maybe find the reason for this issue?

Dušan

Badge +2

Hi @bo,

I am having the same issue here.

Writing in the versioned table is complete, but on the end of the log I get this strange message "Error running translation". Issue is that in the process which I am using, workbench is called from .bat file and the call returns code -2146234327 and not 0 as expected.

I am using 32-bit FME 2018.0.

Did you maybe find the reason for this issue?

Dušan

Hi @ostoja,

Thanks for posting your question. Since you are using 32-bit, while bo was using 64-bit, I suspect the cause of the problem might not be exactly the same.

You might get more fitting suggestions, if you can post your specific problem in as a separate New Question, and provide relevant details such as your workspace, and full log file. Thank you!

Best regards, Xiaomeng