Question

Assessment FME

• 16 April 2018
  • 4 replies

I am looking for a solution that results in the simplified envelop of a 3D-object. The purpose it to indicate the reservation area of a 3D-object, without revealing the details of that 3D-object. This is a typical demand that Safe Software will encounter in the future when speaking to people handling BIM (Building Information Model) workflows.

Here some examples:

The purpose is to do that on minimally following 3D-objects (input)

The expected result (output) would be something like this (see red lines):

We need at least a box, ideally a more detailed geometry (e.g. a trapezoidal geometry)

It’s mandatory to take into account the orientation of the 3D-objet in the 3 X,Y,Z axis and minimize the resulting geometry volume. As an example following result would be useless:

Can transformers be the solution to my requirement? The most likely transformers I have found are

BoundingBoxReplacer : but it should also handle 3D coordinates , and ideally not generate the bounding box, but rather a simplified envelop

CSGEvaluator: but I cannot estimate what the result would be using this transformer

Is there any transformer that does what we are looking for? That would be awesome.

If not. Would it be possible to add it on the requirement list and inform me when it’s available?

If FME can handle this kind of requirement , we will probably buy a license of FME.

Best regards.

Vincent DE BREUCK

Lead Methods Officer

DESIGN - LINES AND TRACK

T +32 2 432 73 32

M +32 476 28 83 41

Fonsnylaan 39 Avenue Fonsny

1060 Brussel/Bruxelles - Belgium

www.tucrail.beDisclaimer

4 replies

Badge +3

You could use a BoundsExtractor, BoundingBoxReplacer and an Offsetter to create your 3D box. If you would like to have a better description of the 2D shape, you could also consider a HullReplacer in stead of a BoundingBoxReplacer

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your answer. Do you mean we should use all 3 transformers? (BoundsExtractor, BoundingBoxReplacer and an Offsetter). Or just 1 of these 3 transformers to have each time a similar result.

Vincent

Badge +3
Hi Vincent,

I mean you should use them all three in that order.

Actually I made a small mistake. You'd better use the 3DForcer in stead of the Offsetter, since it replaces the Z-value and use the Extruder to create the volume.

I hope this works for you.

Badge +3

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your answer. Do you mean we should use all 3 transformers? (BoundsExtractor, BoundingBoxReplacer and an Offsetter). Or just 1 of these 3 transformers to have each time a similar result.

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

I mean you should use them all three in that order.

Actually I made a small mistake. You'd better use the 3DForcer in stead of the Offsetter, since it replaces the Z-value and use the Extruder to create the volume.

I hope this works for you.