Question

Add layers to an empty dwg-file?

• 13 September 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Hi! Is it possible to add layers to an empty (contains no features) dwg-file which already contains some layers? The new layer's names are contained in an Excel-file. Unfortunately I can't upload the empty dwg-file for some reason (the upload progress bar comes to 100% but then nothing happens; the file is only 97 kb), so the Excel-file is the only attached file.

Best regards, Ken

3 replies

Badge +3

Read the original dwg.

Read the excel. Create a dummy object for each excel layer wihich is to become a acad layer. (You cannot create a layer with no object)

Write all to a dwg.

Thanks for the answer gio. I'm new to this kind of problems in FME, and I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Do you mean that I have to create a dummy geometry and add to each attribute feature in the Excel-file? I've tried to use Creator and created a dummy polygon, but I don't know how to add that one instance of the polygon to each feature from Excel. I can't use FeatureMerger for example, since there are no attributes to join.

And to create a layer of each row in Excel, do I take the attribute value from Excel and transfer to the attribute fme_feature_type before writing it all to the new dwg?

Hi again. I solved it myself, thank you.