Solved

Translation problems? Have you tried throwing Lumberjacks at it? The curious case of the Logger.

Badge +11

I recently noticed that the beloved Logger transformer – number 49 on the popularity list, as of this writing – also has a very interesting alias.

Behold,.. the Lumberjack transformer!

Next time you are debugging your workflow, why don't you try throwing some Lumberjacks at the problem?

Which has me wondering... Are there any other aliases out there which are equally amusing? Or what transformer do you insist referring by its alias rather than its "proper" name? What alias do you want to see!?

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 14 August 2017, 17:19

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

@RylanAtSafe i'll try this transformer.

Badge +2

@RylanAtSafe you have the Clumper of course, but still waiting for the addition of IllBeBack or T800 alias!

Idea added https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/50330/new-alias-for-terminator.html

(Apologies in advance)

Could always have Optimus as an alias for the number 1 ranked transformer.

Not sure if I don't remember early versions of FME playing a sound from Transformers when a process had completed?

Userlevel 4

Not sure how I feel about the NickersonDisplacer...

Urban dictionary: Nickerson

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

@RylanAtSafe you have the Clumper of course, but still waiting for the addition of IllBeBack or T800 alias!

Idea added https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/50330/new-alias-for-terminator.html

(Apologies in advance)

Could always have Optimus as an alias for the number 1 ranked transformer.

Not sure if I don't remember early versions of FME playing a sound from Transformers when a process had completed?

You can set that in the Windows sound settings. (Control Panel -> Sounds -> Sounds I think, I'm on a Dutch version of Windows)

Not all of them seem to work, but the translation succesful does.

Userlevel 4

You can set that in the Windows sound settings. (Control Panel -> Sounds -> Sounds I think, I'm on a Dutch version of Windows)

The mind boggles just trying to come up with a use case for wanting to play a sound for every copy/paste action in FME :-)
Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Going through the list right now, I like the Donutizer

Badge +14

Ok @david_r, that was unexpected... I just had a very hearty belly laugh. Thanks!

Badge +2

Wondering how is it the Swiss @david_r know about this and I've never heard of that term - sheltered life I guess.
Badge +14

Transformer alias names are great fun, especially in training, so would love to see more. Would be nice to see either "Nick Cage" or "John Travolter" as alias names for the FaceReplacer (nice retro movie reference there) or anything to do with Stroking, like ArcStroker or TextStroker to be aliased with "Blofeld"...Perhaps "Wicked Witch" for the Dissolver... "I'm meeelllltting" and while we're on movie references how about "Motorcycle" for the Chopper for a nice Pulp Fiction nod. I could do this all day, but maybe time to stop.

...while we're at it though, perhaps a quick look at some of the spurious log messages might be wise too. "Baking donuts" I can cope with but perhaps time to revise the terminology around killing children, even if they are only sub processes, such as "child killed: segmentation violation". Surely that's got to go if only out of common decency.

What a great community this is that topics like this exist.

Badge +2

Yes but did FME ever install the Transformers WAV file or was it something Adrian customised?
Userlevel 4
Wondering how is it the Swiss @david_r know about this and I've never heard of that term - sheltered life I guess.
You'd be surprised...
Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Yes but did FME ever install the Transformers WAV file or was it something Adrian customised?
I don't think FME ever shipped with sounds so it must have been Adrian's doing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

I'm so pleased that in 2017 we finally have a line builder rather than a point connector. I think i suggested this at a world tour about 7 years ago.

My suggestion for the ability to add custom keywords was not all that popular

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/22180/add-custom-keywords-to-find-transformers.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Transformer alias names are great fun, especially in training, so would love to see more. Would be nice to see either "Nick Cage" or "John Travolter" as alias names for the FaceReplacer (nice retro movie reference there) or anything to do with Stroking, like ArcStroker or TextStroker to be aliased with "Blofeld"...Perhaps "Wicked Witch" for the Dissolver... "I'm meeelllltting" and while we're on movie references how about "Motorcycle" for the Chopper for a nice Pulp Fiction nod. I could do this all day, but maybe time to stop.

...while we're at it though, perhaps a quick look at some of the spurious log messages might be wise too. "Baking donuts" I can cope with but perhaps time to revise the terminology around killing children, even if they are only sub processes, such as "child killed: segmentation violation". Surely that's got to go if only out of common decency.

What a great community this is that topics like this exist.

I think it used to be aborted instead of killed - which was just as bad, if not worse!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

For me the SpatialFilter will always be called Alf!

As @takashi noted on @mark_1spatial's idea, you can easily make your own aliases:

Just edit the transformer file. But I'm not going to tell you where that file is! If you don't know then you probably shouldn't be editing it anyway!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

For me the SpatialFilter will always be called Alf!

As @takashi noted on @mark_1spatial's idea, you can easily make your own aliases:

Just edit the transformer file. But I'm not going to tell you where that file is! If you don't know then you probably shouldn't be editing it anyway!!!

And on that topic you could always use the localization pack to customize the FME interface to however you want. Maybe change Logger to Lumberjack there (eg right-click > Connect to Lumberjack). Or maybe translate the whole interface to Klingon, Elvish, ROT13, etc.

Though if you have that much time on your hands...

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I really love the Lumberjack!

Having a MSc in Forestry is what got me into Spatial data in the first place.

And FME was a logical next step.

And the Lumberjack takes me right back to Forestry.

Badge +14

I really love the Lumberjack!

Having a MSc in Forestry is what got me into Spatial data in the first place.

And FME was a logical next step.

And the Lumberjack takes me right back to Forestry.

...now that explains the shirts!

Userlevel 5
Badge +25
...now that explains the shirts!

He's a lumberjack and he's okay... :)

Badge
Ok @david_r, that was unexpected... I just had a very hearty belly laugh. Thanks!

I did too! Definitely unexpected.

Badge

I like the OrientationReverser!

Also the Clumper and Donutizer, as mentioned in previous comments.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I like the OrientationReverser!

Also the Clumper and Donutizer, as mentioned in previous comments.

Love donuts. But OrientationReverser gets me dis-oriented.

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

On a more serious note:

In June 2016 I posted this idea:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/22186/open-list-of-aliasses-for-transformers.html

Aliases do have good value if used for localization purposes and opening the list of aliases could help.

Badge +14

On a more serious note:

In June 2016 I posted this idea:

https://knowledge.safe.com/idea/22186/open-list-of-aliasses-for-transformers.html

Aliases do have good value if used for localization purposes and opening the list of aliases could help.

Good shout @erik_jan, I'd really like to see the Knowledge Center used more for crowd sourcing this kind of information from users to effectively help Safe out with some of their documentation and in this case help out with the No1 question, "Which transformer do I need next?". My feeling is that the only way this might work is if this kind of crowd sourcing page is 'sticky' and stays on the first page a bit like some of @Mark2AtSafe fun challenges.

I think the page you suggest would work really well as an example and the other one I've been trying to get contribution to is regarding the URLs used by FME that @KenAtSafe helped to setup for me, but because it slipped off page 1 quickly, it's gained very little interest and no contribution.

Please can we have some sticky pages @robertmcmillin, they don't have to be permanent, just cycle around occasionally to fill the space between KC announcements and fun tasks?
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Good shout @erik_jan, I'd really like to see the Knowledge Center used more for crowd sourcing this kind of information from users to effectively help Safe out with some of their documentation and in this case help out with the No1 question, "Which transformer do I need next?". My feeling is that the only way this might work is if this kind of crowd sourcing page is 'sticky' and stays on the first page a bit like some of @Mark2AtSafe fun challenges.

I think the page you suggest would work really well as an example and the other one I've been trying to get contribution to is regarding the URLs used by FME that @KenAtSafe helped to setup for me, but because it slipped off page 1 quickly, it's gained very little interest and no contribution.

Please can we have some sticky pages @robertmcmillin, they don't have to be permanent, just cycle around occasionally to fill the space between KC announcements and fun tasks?
I made Ken's URLs page sticky so that we have that open for a while.

For aliases, it depends on what you want.

- If you want just a list of the current aliases, that would be fairly easy to create (I can just skim through the transformers file).

- If you want an unofficial way to add aliases, that wouldn't be too hard (eg create a workspace to read a list of aliases and insert them into the transformers file). That could even be a future challenge.

- If you want an official way to add aliases, then go and vote up an idea for that to happen (I though there was an idea, but I can't find it - anyone have a link?)

For other sticky items - I'm happy to help there. I can just make interesting questions sticky, or new articles, or anything needing crowdsourcing. Just let me know. I'm open to suggestions.