Question

TAKING MORE TIME FOR LOADING 3D TILES GENERATED BY FME ON CESIUM

• 27 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I have a 3d building citygml and I have converted into 3d tiles using FME. When i am loading 3D tile(size 6.6MB, containing buildings) , it is taking the loading time of 6.3 minutes to load on the cesium globe. When i upload the citygml data to generate 3d tile, the generated 3d tile is taking 12sec to load on the cesium globe.

I am not able to find the reason for this. How to minimize the loading time of FME converted 3dtile. I have attached the images of 3D tile.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

This is pretty strange behaviour - even 12 seconds is quite slow to load a tile. It's hard to say where the issue is. Do you have the tileset to share as a zip?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @chaitanyajallur,

Sorry to hear that you have run into this issue with the Cesium 3D Tiles created from FME. Would you be able to share any sample data for us to test out on our side? If possible, it would be great to have one generated by FME and one CityGML file to compare it to for loading time. If the file is too big to share here or you want to keep the data private, please send it to and reference this issue [FMEENGINE-61358].

Dean's answer to this Forum question gives a bit more insight on our Cesium writer.

We've filed [FMEENGINE-61358] about our output being inefficient to render so far. A potential workaround that Dave suggests is to use the MeshSimplifier to generalize 3D features before writing to Cesium. I'll let you know back here as soon as the issue has been addressed. Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I guess that the cause of the issue is that the current Cesium 3D Tiles Writer won't create ideal 3D tile sets which consists of some LODs corresponding to different zoom level. See also this idea: Enhancement of Cesium 3D Tiles Writer: Create Multiple LODs Tilesets