Question

Newbie question about simplifying CSV data

• 15 November 2016
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie trying to learn FME on my own for work and am having trouble with what is probably very simple data structuring... I've been trying to figure this out but can't find an example that is similar to what I'm trying to do, so I'm desperate for help!

I have data in a CSV file... columns contain values for each state that correspond to a date (month). The first column contains the list of states. It looks like this...

The ultimate goal is to format this data so that I can put it into ArcGIS and display the values for each state over time... I've been able to do this in a test with a subset of the data by manually reformatting the data to look like this..

I need to have a date attribute so that I can loop the values in ArcGIS, so I can't just combine the date and state in one attribute.

Basically I need to know how to reformat the original CSV data in FME so that there is a feature for each state and month and an attribute with the corresponding value for that state and month. I've tried bulk attribute renamer, attribute creator, aggregater... but I just end up with the same format with all the dates in the columns.

Any help including any resources with examples on how to handle excel/csv data is greatly appreciated!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

I am not 100% sure, but have a look at the AttributePivoter transformer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @weathersfuori, maybe this workflow works as expected.

Result (sample data: 2 states x 6 months)