Question

KML naming and formating

• 6 October 2017
  • 1 reply

Inputing an excel file and a shp file.

Exporting a kml file and a shp file.

I am taking an excel spreadsheet and joining it with a shp file to merge the attributes from the excel file into the shp file. I then take only the joined records and filter out the extra records (4 in this case) the joiner created in the database. I then remove attributes from the database that are not needed that originated from the shp file. Then I apply the kmlpropertysetter and styler. The results go to a kml writer and a shp file writer.

The kml is set to fanout the data based on a TYPE attribute. (Rock or Cobble). So if there is Rock and Cobble in the dataset it will export two kmls, one for Rock and one for Cobble.

Right now it is naming the kmls by the TYPE attribute, this is what it does by default when you select fanout and tell it to base it on the TYPE attribute.

I need the resulting kmls to be named by the COUNTY attribute and then the TYPE attribute: for ex. "Williamson Rock.kml" ('Williamson' is the COUNTY and 'Rock' is the TYPE).

Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Brandon

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @bkg73123,

In the output Feature Type Properties, please click the down arrow beside the Feature Type Name setting, then choose Open Text Editor from the options. This will open a text editor where you can create the output feature type name from a combination of several attribute values, as well as constant strings to join them together. You can even use Published Parameters and String functions within this editor, so it a very powerful tool to create Feature Type names.